Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 01:41 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating making an offer on a historic garden which is part of a property dating to 1750. The house is for sale with the garden, of course, but the listing mentions that the lot with the garden, which is deeded separately, could also be sold separately. Of course, the listing also states that the property is worth more with the garden than without, since it would have much less privacy (the master bedroom overlooks the garden). However, in these busy times, I can envision that, notwithstanding the fact that the house itself needs a lot of work, many people would not want to take on the maintenance of a formal, elaborate boxwood garden along with the other plantings. A great deal depends on the executor's willingness to split the lots and whether the small, historic town will allow a shed on the garden lot for tools, etc. This will be a real adventure if it succeeds! I'm touring the house and grounds tomorrow, hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 06:44 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Good luck sounds like an adventure for certain.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Foregive me for asking, but why do you want to buy the garden lot? If you're able to buy it what would you do with it?

Old 07-18-2022, 07:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Historical designation? How much control will you have over the garden, will there be restrictions on what you can and can't do? I think it sounds like it could be interesting, any chance you might have pictures to share?

Old 07-18-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Foregive me for asking, but why do you want to buy the garden lot? If you're able to buy it what would you do with it?

Because it would be a fantastic opportunity to maintain and improve a historic garden that has been neglected and needs upkeep. I'm also running out of room at my house and would like more room to plant native plants in a real showcase setting. I'd also use it as a project garden for my garden club and could possibly get approval from my Master Gardener chapter to maintain it for which I could get credit hours. I'd have to have it open to the public to do that though, which might be problematic. It would be intriguing though to approach that angle.

However, the realtor did inform me that the seller received an offer today for the home and is inclined to accept it, so it might be dead in the water from the get-go, unless the buyer wants to divide the lot as well. Dang it, it's been on the market for over 6 months, and the day I call to see it, an offer comes in.

Last edited by Bungalove; 07-18-2022 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Historical designation? How much control will you have over the garden, will there be restrictions on what you can and can't do? I think it sounds like it could be interesting, any chance you might have pictures to share?
The house itself has historic designation since it dates from 1750, 1800, and has a modern addition from 1994. The garden dates from the early period as well and is a formal English boxwood garden, but is not, itself, under any restrictions. However, it would be a travesty to change the formal garden section to something not in keeping with the house even if the lot were legally divided since it is physically so close to the house. The entire property is enclosed with one continuous fence. There is a large portion of the lot that is available for native plants that would still complement the formal garden as well as the rest of the lot and be appropriate to the era of the house.

If you want to Google the property, it's at 305 Market St., Port Royal, VA.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

....... If you want to Google the property, it's at 305 Market St., Port Royal, VA.
I did that. Wow! https://circaoldhouses.com/property/...nial-addition/

Interesting place. I see what you mean about the boxwood garden being neglected. Man, oh man does that house ever need a lot of repair work done on it though. But all of it is cool. I like it a lot and could see me happily living in a place like that. It's sort of a combination of really old and new. I like the kitchen.

Believe it or not, if a house and property just like that was getting sold here it wouldn't go for less than 5 or 6 million....... probably a lot more.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-18-2022 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 10:43 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
That’s very cool but in my experience- I run FAST from anything on the hysterical registry. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Nice, thanks for the link. Absolutely beautiful property, in need of a lot of love and money, lol. I can see why you'd like to get your hands on that garden, bringing that back to glory would be a real achievement!

Old 07-19-2022, 03:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"a formal, elaborate boxwood garden" cardboard boxes painted green will give the same visual appeal as a boxwood, and are far easier to maintain. I must be the only gardener in VA that doesn't think the boxwood is some kind of national treasure.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden