Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 12:04 AM

3,978 posts, read 3,534,859 times

Advertisements

After weeks of little to no rain, it rained about 5-6” on Monday. Since then, we’ve had temperatures in the mid 90’s and we’re getting more hot weather throughout this upcoming weekend. On Wednesday I saw a lot of people in my neighborhood watering their lawns, which I found strange on light of the heavy rain just two days prior. I stuck a screwdriver in the soil and it went through easy, so I figured it was still moist enough to not need to water so soon. A Google search results in conflicting information on the subject. What would you guys do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 AM

441 posts, read 269,607 times
Like you did, check the depth of the moisture in the soil. A lot of the crappy soil these days doesn't hold the moisture for long.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:26 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,053,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
After weeks of little to no rain, it rained about 5-6” on Monday. Since then, we’ve had temperatures in the mid 90’s and we’re getting more hot weather throughout this upcoming weekend. On Wednesday I saw a lot of people in my neighborhood watering their lawns, which I found strange on light of the heavy rain just two days prior. I stuck a screwdriver in the soil and it went through easy, so I figured it was still moist enough to not need to water so soon. A Google search results in conflicting information on the subject. What would you guys do?
I can’t see wasting any water on watering a lawn, ever! IMO, it’s just a waste of natural resources that are limited and being used just for appearances.

We have a half acre of lawn and just keep it a littler taller durning July and August so the roots stay cooler and the lawn looks decent. It’s not something I need to showcase so that it looks great for others to see

Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 AM

15,086 posts, read 7,129,040 times
Some of my neighbors seem to think that watering during a thunderstorm is a good thing. Or their sprinkler controllers do.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:17 AM

3,978 posts, read 3,534,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I can’t see wasting any water on watering a lawn, ever! IMO, it’s just a waste of natural resources that are limited and being used just for appearances.

We have a half acre of lawn and just keep it a littler taller durning July and August so the roots stay cooler and the lawn looks decent. It’s not something I need to showcase so that it looks great for others to see

Thank you that was very helpful.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,071 posts, read 80,118,318 times
With our rain lasting through early July, I have not had to water yet this summer. When it starts to turn brown I'll give it a good watering, usually just 203 times in August. There are nearby common areas with sprinkler systems where we have seen the water going while it's raining, because they set it on in July and leave it until about October. That may be the case with your neighbors, automatic sprinklers without a rain sensor. How long to wait after a heavy rain depends on the temperature, soil condition, and exposure to the sun. my front lawn, for example, faces north, and only one small corner of it gets any direct sun. That part turns brown first.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:55 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,416,195 times
Depends.

Right now it's 106-108 here, so even if we were to get an afternoon shower (we're not) the ground would be completely dry and cracked again twelve hours later. If it's March or November and the ground's already saturated when it rains yet again, it might be weeks before irrigation is needed.

Water when the grass starts looking stressed.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:00 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,982,226 times
I don't water ever water grass. I also don't water (most) perennials unless it hasn't rained in a few weeks. My annuals (in ground, window boxes and pots) and newly planted (this season) perennials get watered every 24 hours or so; perhaps a bit longer if I know rain is definitely coming. Got a HUGE soaking Monday afternoon/ evening and we watered again Wednesday.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:08 PM

37,415 posts, read 45,602,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

LOL! My lawn would be dead without watering it. And that is a look that I could not tolerate.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:26 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,812,978 times
I've never watered my lawn. If you have to water your lawn, you have the wrong kind of grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden