U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 05:56 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,470,234 times

Advertisements

It is 100 degrees in the shade here in NW Arkansas right now. I am watering the yard as I have been in the morning and evening. There is rain in the forecast on Thursday through Sunday and cooler weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 06:56 PM

13,240 posts, read 11,780,168 times
95F/35C at my place just shortly after 5:30 pm my time (BC Pacific South West). The previous 3 days were the same and the forecast is for more of the same until next Monday when the temperatures are supposed to drop down into the 70's for a 3 day reprieve. That will be a relief and then the heat wave will return.

Everything is tinder box dry, sun scorch in the gardens on the southwest side of the building has struck and there have been numerous fires in residential neighbourhoods since last weekend. So now every evening just before sunset I have been soaking everything outside to nearly drowning point, and I don't mean only the gardens, I mean everything that could potentially catch on fire if a spark hits it. There was a grass fire started next door on Sunday night after the neighbour returned home with his motorcycle and the hot exhaust pipe started a fire in the grass where he parked it.

After a long life-time of never wanting or owning an air conditioner I finally broke down and got myself a little mobile A/C yesterday and hooked it up today. Now I think should have done that 10 years ago.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:55 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,510,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I beg you, go buy a rain gauge for $3. Place that rain gauge under your sprinkler. Then place it under a hose.

Watering from a hose gets you a TON more water than with sprinklers. More water gets wasted with sprinklers because it doesn't come down onto the earth as heavy and most gets lost with evaporation.

Or do this... Keep sprinkler on for 1 hour.. slice a sample of the soil and see how moist the soil is inches deep.. Then use a hose for 5 minutes in another spot. Slice a sample of the soil there and you'll be surprised.

I wasn't arguing for a sprinkler over a hose. I was pointing out that a hose loses 70% of the water to evaporation.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I’m in NJ and just made a similar thread. What part of NJ are you in? We got a ton of rain up here this past Monday.

lucky you. I am in Middlesex County. Our grass is burned up.

I haven't researched this, but someone said that there will be rain to the northeast of us and rain to the southwest, and it keeps missing us.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You might fare better with more mulch, and next year working more organic matter into the soil. Watering that often can create weak roots and plants more susceptible to heat stress.

Watering 3 or 4 times a week in a drought is necessary to save my annuals. Usually I never water perenniels, but now I water them occasionally.

Yes I agree mulch is essential, without it, my plants would be much worse.
And organic matter is also essential, as New Jersey has hard clay soil for the most part.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,531 posts, read 70,954,247 times
We are now in an unusually hot spell, with the high hitting 90-93F every day this week, and only down as low as 67 this morning at 5am. That still has little effect on the front lawn or vegetable garden, but we have a lot of potted plants, mostly annuals that I have to water every other day until it cools off to our normal low-mid 80s next week.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,073,221 times
We've had so many mid-90 days, with "feels" over 100, but the meteorologist says last year there more more.
I've been putting potted plants in-ground because we were headed out of town for a few days and my straw mulch is doing a great job on the garden soil, it was actually damp with no rain and no watering in a week. Clay soil really holds water.

I also garden in large bags and mulched them heavily and watered well, have cut up up cardboard under that mulch because they dry out faster with potting mix in them.

Charlotte NC

Old 07-27-2022, 05:43 PM

909 posts, read 798,668 times
I water my plants for about 30 minutes at a time, which I believe equates to about 1" of water. I don't water more because the plants don't seem to absorb more, the excess water just evaporates from the soil or drains away. I don't have any annuals though, I only plant hardy perennials.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:58 PM

1,856 posts, read 954,490 times
I have a sprinkler system running on a well. Even in this dry and heat spell I haven’t changed the schedule. I water 3x a week for 25-35 minutes (depending on the zone) and an hour on 360* rotating heads in the back. It is clear where the sprinklers do not soak the lawn as those parts are scorched right now. Anywhere it is shady the lawn is great, otherwise it is scorched.

Most of the flowers/shrubs seem okay with the sprinklers, but I sometimes soak with a hose or water bucket. I also use a water bucket for my raised bed.

In previous years I watered more but the grass would develop diseases like dollar spot or other fungus conditions, so I don’t increase the watering now. Hopefully the grass is only dormant.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,470,234 times
I got 2" of rain yesterday afternoon. This is the first rain I had here in NW Arkansas in about six weeks. Some grass was already turning green again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden