Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 01:38 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

We have received some pumpkin from a grower. They are the green ones with orange firm flesh. We have had these before (but smaller) and they were dark green like these are when the white skin is peeled off.

This white skin is almost like ricepaper and the thickness of A4 paper and peels off the green pumpkin skin quite easily after steaming.

I am wondering if this is something the pumpkins have been dipped into to stop water loss so they last longer in storage. Since I have seen other green pumpkin without this white skin I feel it might be artificial but my wife swears it is a natural part of the pumpkin and eats it quite happily.

As you can see from the boxed pumpkins, they are both a green-grey color and from the steamed picture you can see what color they are after the white skin has been peeled off.

I am hoping someone can tell me if this is a normal variety of pumpkin or something some pumpkins normally have or if I should peel the white skin off before I eat it.
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
That appears to be a variety of winter squash and the skin is not normally consumed.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I agree with Gemstone, that looks like a squash and I think that colouring of the skin on them is natural. I've seen squashes of all shapes with skins that were white and every other colour under the sun and the majority of them have orange flesh. Except for tender small zucchini and scalloped Pattypan squashes which I eat whole and raw I never eat the skins of any other kinds of squashes or pumpkins. However, I do wash and scrub the skins very well before cutting up, prepping and cooking squash. The left over skin gets discarded after I've eaten the cooked flesh.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:57 AM

Thanks for your comments. So i t looks as if my fears are ungrounded.

It is only the very thinnest part (paper thin?) of the skin which is white and the rest of it is the dark green like I showed in the cooked pumpkin picture. I tend to eat the skins of pumpkins because I think the roughage will be good for me. That has to be balanced against the other stuff which may not be good for me! (see below)

The other thing is, the white outer skin seems to peel off quite easily and I have never come across this before (possbly because I have not had this type of pumpkin before). This is why I suspected it might be an unnatural coating of some kind (plus of course that I am in a non-USA country and many things are messed up, genetically modified, grown on rough inner city land, grown under power pylons, and otherwise altered). I kind of expect anything with no seeds to be GM'ed to oblivion, etc. So, strange oddities (corn, fruit and veg without seeds, etc, not just grapes which have been seedless for probably decades everywhere) are pretty much the norm at the moment and I suspect yours will be too soon.

I am a little(haha!) fixed in my ideas so I need a lot of convincing this is a natural pumpkin.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 07-24-2022 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2022, 09:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Your squash appears to be sweet white Shokichi Shiro Kabocha squash, also known as and marketed as Japanese Pumpkin. Shokichi Shiro Kabocha is a F1 hybrid, this winter squash is new on the market and is a new relative to the kabocha family.

Some Kabochas are found with entirely dark green outer skins, some have dark green and white stripes on the skin, and some kabochas have a white(ish) membranous layer of skin covering the layer of dark green skin. It is safe to eat Kabocha skins but it is just tough and fibrous enough in more mature specimens that it's not advisable to eat the skin on them due to the risk of the tougher fiber slicing or tearing nicks on the inside of the colon.

So in summary, the white membrane on the outside is natural, edible and safe, but maybe not a good idea to eat the outer layers of tougher skin on mature specimens of Kabocha squashes.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-24-2022 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-24-2022, 10:04 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
The outside looks like wax or similar and is used to keep them longer without shrinking since no one eats the skin. Helps retain moisture inside. I put a coating on mine to overwinter them in the garage, also keeps out insects from spoiling them.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:51 PM

OK, thanks to all. From the photos on the web, it seems it is a Shokichi Shiro Kabocha. Thanks for identifying it.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:41 AM

34 posts, read 21,372 times
I also previously bought such pumpkins, I was assured that they were natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden