U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 09:36 AM

5,272 posts, read 8,803,368 times

Advertisements

What have you planted near black walnut trees that have survived/thrived?

In the back of my backyard, I have a shady area that is like a little outdoor room. It's enclosed on three sides by garages, and is shaded by black walnut trees. Many years ago, it was used as a garden by the elderly lady who lived here. (before the black walnuts volunteered, apparently) So, the soil is easy to work, and seems pretty fertile. After the lady passed away, the area was abandoned, and just collected trash leaves, weeds and grapevines, for decades. Not long after I moved in, in 2013, I cleaned this area out. Currently, I have a few daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, for spring color, and I have large hostas for the rest of the year. I'm a lazy gardener, so I like perennials that thrive on neglect. LOL.

This is what it currently looks like:

This fall, I think I want to plant many more daffodils, add in some grape hyacinth, wood hyacinth, maybe more tulips. Then, next spring, I'll divide the hostas to fill in the gaps, and to keep the weeds down, after the spring flowers fade.

So, getting back to my original question, what have you planted that actually do well near a black walnut tree? I like the hostas, but wouldn't mind adding some variety, too. I'm in zone 6, if you want to make suggestions.

I've found lists online of plants that will survive near black walnut, that are tolerant of juglone, but my experience has shown that the lists aren't very accurate. That's why I'm looking for real-world experiences. For example, I tried planting heuchera/coral bells, and that lived a couple years; coming back smaller and smaller each year. I also planted kerria japonica, and it also came back smaller each year. I transplanted it to a different area of the yard before it could die completely, and after two years, it's thriving. You might argue that the kerria preferred a sunnier spot. But, I planted it at the edge of the shady area, so it should have gotten enough sunlight. I also planted a fern in the middle of the hostas a couple years ago, (don't remember the exact variety) and it didn't come back this spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden