Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 07:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times

Advertisements

I inherited a garden with many hostas, and for the most part they are their usual trouble-free selves. They are a mix of different varieties that I don't know the names of.

Last year, a couple of hostas developed blooms in summer that then looked sickly and never opened. I thought that this might be related to the extremely hot summer we experienced. I slavishly watered but all of the plants were slogging through the heat.

But this year we have had normal rainfall and a blissfully cool temps so the plants aren't suffering from heat. Yet these same three plants have the same sick-looking buds. They appear to form normally but then wilt and never open. The rest of the plant seems completely healthy.

Any suggestions? I've considered that perhaps it could be exposure to snowmelt or dog pee, given that these are planted in an urban parkway, but I have many hostas growing in these conditions and the rest of them are fine.

I have perhaps 100 hostas, perhaps half of them appear to be this particular variety, but only three of them are experiencing this. No other varieties are affected. Hostas are so hardy, I can't really find anything about what might be ailing these plants. Any suggestions? Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Hosta trouble-20220725_165657.jpg   Hosta trouble-20220725_165703.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 01:04 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Well, I don't know why they went directly to seed but you certainly have a healthy looking crop of seed pods on the scapes.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:37 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Your hostas in question have definitely bloomed: perhaps you didn’t notice it -not all hostas have spectacular blooms, some are insignificant.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak: you clearly see seeds pods formed on one photo, and remnants of perhaps unpollinated flowers - typical for some hostas

Clean them up by cutting off the flowered stalks at the ground level for better appearance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden