Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

I come to the garden section and all I see is threads on trees/flowers/shrubs...

Where are the vegetable garden growers?

Hello? Anyone home??

I have tomatoes, string beans (green beans), & cucumbers which are doing excellent. I actually have them growing in "hay bales". I think the hay heats up the soil alot which they love. They get about 9 hrs of sun per day and I'm in zone 7a/7b, so the temps are heating up here now.....

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 PM

250 posts, read 992,012 times
Hi!

I like vegetable gardens but only did one for the second time this year. I'm in Z4. I'll bet you have a great garden in 7!

How do you plant your cucumbers? I planted seeds this year and it says to plant them in a little hill. Could you give me some tips on how you do that?

Thanks!
S

Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 PM

I dug a "trench" out of the top about 9 inches down of my hay bale and filled it w/a mix of potting/starter soil. You know, the really good rich stuff......Then I drenched it w/a mix of water and a tablespoon of miracle-gro.

I started the cukes by seed. I pushed my finger down in the soil about inch down (about 5-6 inches apart), dropped in the seed and covered it. Watered it some more w/the miracle-gro and let nature take it from there. (Water once a day, and once a week I'll mix the water w/miracle-gro to give it a fertilizer boost).

We've been getting consistent temps in the upper 70's low 80's w/alot of sun. Just like the cukes love. They have the dark green "felty" type leaves w/yellow flowers growing in each plant...

I promised I'd put pics on here, but hopefully I should have it on by tomorrow...

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
I want to grow a garden, or at least have a couple raised bed ones.
I wont be able to start anything till july/aug as thats when we move
in our new house. Im on the central coast of Calif. What can I start then?
And HOW does one keep the durn bugs off there veggies? Do you use
natural repellent or chemical? Oh, and Miracle grow is the bomb!
I ask about the bugs,because I tried to grow basil and it got worms,which were originally white butterflies,I think.

Greenchili

Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I want to grow a garden, or at least have a couple raised bed ones.
I wont be able to start anything till july/aug as thats when we move
in our new house. Im on the central coast of Calif. What can I start then?
And HOW does one keep the durn bugs off there veggies? Do you use
natural repellent or chemical? Oh, and Miracle grow is the bomb!
I ask about the bugs,because I tried to grow basil and it got worms,which were originally white butterflies,I think.

Greenchili
I'm not sure what your zone is but I'd prob assume its 7-9....

Best thing would be to search online to get answers or goto your local bigbox store and ask questions....that would be my first thought...

Regarding bugs, knock on wood I haven't had them (yet). I just check the plants every day and see if anything is going on w/the leaves or stems...that's pretty much it...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I started growing veggies for the first time this season.

I'm a little disappointed in how slowly the plants seem to be growing (and I'm supposed to be able to harvest in 60 days? ).

I'm growing a few different types of tomatoes and peppers and one eggplant, all in a raised bed (and a few in pots). Plenty of sun, but few blossoms . Maybe I need to be fertilizing more frequently?

I'm also growing herbs - different types of basil and rosemary and a few other things - and the herbs are doing great in comparison .

Zone 9a

Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I started growing veggies for the first time this season.

I'm a little disappointed in how slowly the plants seem to be growing (and I'm supposed to be able to harvest in 60 days? ).

I'm growing a few different types of tomatoes and peppers and one eggplant, all in a raised bed (and a few in pots). Plenty of sun, but few blossoms . Maybe I need to be fertilizing more frequently?

I'm also growing herbs - different types of basil and rosemary and a few other things - and the herbs are doing great in comparison .

Zone 9a
could be the soil that your using....like you said, maybe your not using enough fertilizer...

Do they look sick/wilted? are they not standing staight up and looking healthy?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
could be the soil that your using....like you said, maybe your not using enough fertilizer...

Do they look sick/wilted? are they not standing staight up and looking healthy?
Everybody is standing, just not growing much. I do have one tomato plant who is looking a little grey, that one may not make it through. We've had a bunch of rain the past 2 days, so I'll get a good look tomorrow morning.

The soil I used was a mix of topsoil and manure.....I know, probably not the best choice, but I just wanted to get them going for this year, next year I can build a more permanent garden. I've used Worm Poop for fertilizer.

I just thought by now I'd have bunches of blossoms and later fruit...but so far, some plants have no fruit and others just one fruit...is that normal at this point, or should my plants be well underway?

Are these plants crazy for fertilizer? Do I need to be fertilizing weekly or something (I have not been)?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I've been veggie gardening for years. Seattle is zone 8, but a weird zone 8, meaning you can't plant certain things too early because they'll get early blight, they won't freeze, but mildew, mold, etc will kill them. I start tomatoes, melons, winter squash, peppers, and eggplant indoors and they go outside around the end of May( I'm a little behind schedule).
Broccoli will grow here almost year round, as well as things like collard greens.
I'll have to try that hay bale idea..the hay doesn't sprout grass or anything?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Your growing season depends on the weather. Ideally most vegetables perform best when nigthtime temps are in the 60's and the daytime temps are in the 80-90 range.
Fertilizing at those times are best. Using Miracle Gro, Bloom Plus or similiar products aid in a boutiful production. Most people don't read the instructions for the fertilizers and that's where they have a problem of either too much and burn the plants or too little and get a weak growth. So please read before using.
There are organic insect sprays that are good for the plants to control whatever is digesting on your plants. Bacillis Thurengensis, otherwise know as BT, (available also as a dust, a product called Dipel) is a natural control for worm type critters.
Ortho makes a organic spray for vegetables as well as roses and other plants. If you get the RTU's, ready to use, containers, then you will have the proper mix ratio that won't harm you plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden