Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

No matter where I turn, I'm finding conflicting answers regarding the different names for the same citrus....so now I turn to you, my CD Garden friends!

I've been going a little citrus-happy lately, and now have:

Meyer Lemon
Variegated Pink Lemon
Persian/Tahiti Lime
Limequat
Kumquat (Meiwa)

I sampled a Bearrs Lemon at a citrus nursery recently, and plan to go back for one of those. I also thought I'd want a Bearrs Lime, but then researched and it seems Bearrs Lime is the same as Persian?Tahiti Lime?

So here are the questions I still have:

1) Is a Limequat a Key Lime? (Home Depot seems to think so)

2) Is a Bearrs Lime a Persian/Tahiti Lime?

3) Is the Persian/Tahiti Lime the same as the Mexican Lime you see in the grocery store?

4) Is the Variegated Pink Lemon a type of Eureka? And if so, how big will it get?

My internet research says one thing, my books another, the big box stores and the nurseries tell yet another answer....does anyone know the differences between any of these??

If anyone knows any good citrus books, I'm looking for one of those too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:58 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Let me try and answer some of your questions. May or may not help you. We'll give it a shot.
As far as books go, it depends on what part of the country you live in. For example in the SouthWest here we have the Sunset Western Garden Book that is designed for the Southwestern gardener and the Southwestern growth characteristics. You need to check with a local Nursery/Library/Extension Svc etal for your territorial book(s).
There are citrus growers in the Southwest, Texas and Florida. Each grower names their own plants, many for their own plant identification. Not all growers agree on the same variety name since many are constantly experimenting with various grafts for hardiness, quality, and quantity of fruit production.
For example, Keylime, Mexican Lime, Persian Lime, Tahiti Lime and Bearss Lime are all from the same family of limes. Bearss lime being the largest fruit. Different growers from different regions will graft and grow these limes on various stock that may or may not match other growers, yet sometimes call them by the same names. Yes it's confusing, just remember that these limes are all variations of the same family. The smaller limes generally being used for drinks. Bearss being larger is used for pies etc.
Limequat is a graft of Lime and Kumquat.
Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon grows to @15ft average on a standard tree, and the dwarf variety grows to @6ft. Eureka's are more thornier than it's sister the Lisbon Lemon.
You may want to contact your local Agriculture Extension Service for the latest updated techniques in growing plants/trees for your area and what the local growing industry is providing for your area and their local names. The information varies from region to region.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM

177 posts, read 973,229 times
riveree,

Actually the Sunset Western Garden book came to my mind when I read your post. Then I saw that Nitram had recommended it. We live in Georgia now and I miss our citrus. We've been growing Meyer lemons (inside in the winter) outside in the summer and hope to eventually get some hardier types of citrus.

As Nitram mentioned the growing conditions wouldn't be the same, but still, Sunset has a lot of information and it might be worth a look. You can ask your local librarian to request one interlibrary loan. I'd check on-line to see what the latest edition is and then ask for that edition.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Thank you Nitram! That does help! I put my replies inside your quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
There are citrus growers in the Southwest, Texas and Florida. Each grower names their own plants, many for their own plant identification. Not all growers agree on the same variety name since many are constantly experimenting with various grafts for hardiness, quality, and quantity of fruit production.

Exactly! Everyone seems to have their own variation on names . I had a long talk with a citrus nursery owner who grafts onto Flying Dragon stock (a dwarf stock) about the industry and all that, and it cleared up some confusion, but left me with other confusion .

For example, Keylime, Mexican Lime, Persian Lime, Tahiti Lime and Bearss Lime are all from the same family of limes. Bearss lime being the largest fruit. Different growers from different regions will graft and grow these limes on various stock that may or may not match other growers, yet sometimes call them by the same names. Yes it's confusing, just remember that these limes are all variations of the same family. The smaller limes generally being used for drinks. Bearss being larger is used for pies etc.
Limequat is a graft of Lime and Kumquat.

So if I buy a Bearrs, it might taste slightly different, but it's basically the same thing as the Persian/Tahiti lime I already own.....sounds like I probably don't need another lime tree - there might not be any noticeable difference between the limes.

I thought I totally understood Limequat, and then I was at Home Depot and they have their Limequat listed as "Limequat/Key Lime".....I checked it twice! I'm just going to pretend I did not even see Home Depot's tag and continue to understand Limequat as a Lime-Kumquat graft. Between my Limequat and my Persian/Tahiti Lime, I don't need a "Key Lime" anyway

Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon grows to @15ft average on a standard tree, and the dwarf variety grows to @6ft. Eureka's are more thornier than it's sister the Lisbon Lemon.

I picked one of these up in the same Home Depot for $9 and there was no info on mature size. One of the staff members made it sound like it would grow to the dwarf size you mention, but at least "worst case scenario" it will only get to 15 feet. Thanks, that helps me with placement . It is pretty thorny, by the way, it's as thorny as my P/T Lime.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
riveree,

Actually the Sunset Western Garden book came to my mind when I read your post. Then I saw that Nitram had recommended it. We live in Georgia now and I miss our citrus. We've been growing Meyer lemons (inside in the winter) outside in the summer and hope to eventually get some hardier types of citrus.

As Nitram mentioned the growing conditions wouldn't be the same, but still, Sunset has a lot of information and it might be worth a look. You can ask your local librarian to request one interlibrary loan. I'd check on-line to see what the latest edition is and then ask for that edition.

All the best,
zebbie
Will do! We have a really cool used bookstore here that I like to get lost in, I bet they have the Sunset books .

Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM

riveree,

I don't know if you ever get to Tallahassee, but there is a nursery that sells citrus there. I asked my husband where the nursery is and he said he thinks it's south of Tallahassee. We visited this nursery a couple of years ago and it has strange types of citrus as well as some of the familiar. Also, they have some citrus that is more cold hardy. The folks at the nursery seem very knowledgeable (at least the ones we spoke with). I believe the place is called, "Just Exotics", but could be mistaken as we visited it a couple of years ago. If you're interested you could do an online search for nurseries in Tallahassaee + citrus. It might not actually be IN Tallahassee but rather just outside it. They may ship as well. Anyway, we were so impressed that we thought of going back just to get citrus though it's a LONG drive (we live near Macon, Georgia).

Also, in your quest for citrus, have you checked out Monrovia on-line? I seem to think that they offered some citrus, including one (I think) with flying dragon roots. At least I think it's called flying dragon rootstock, that's cold hardier. I realize that you don't live in a cold place, but doesn't it get cold sometime in Jacksonville? Your local nursery can order from Monrovia for you and we've ALWAYS had good luck with their plants and shrubs.

all the best,
zebbie

Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
deja
you don't have to drive all the way to Tallahassee there is a great citrus nursery in Jax Flying Dragon Citrus nursery

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 PM

Karla...thanks. Honestly I don't know if JAX is closer than Tallahassee to Macon The OP Riveree (quite the citrus collector, it seems) lives in JAX so I hope that he/she sees your post. Since the nursery is called Flying Dragon I presume that they graft on flying dragon root stock. Our Arizona Sweets and navels in Arizona (purchased about 25+ years ago) were grafted onto sour orange rootstock --'course there were few freezes. I'm interested in acquiring citrus on the flying dragon stock and will see if I can find anything online about JAX Flying Dragon nursery.

Again, thanks
zeb

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
deja
you don't have to drive all the way to Tallahassee there is a great citrus nursery in Jax Flying Dragon Citrus nursery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
Karla...thanks. Honestly I don't know if JAX is closer than Tallahassee to Macon The OP Riveree (quite the citrus collector, it seems) lives in JAX so I hope that he/she sees your post. Since the nursery is called Flying Dragon I presume that they graft on flying dragon root stock. Our Arizona Sweets and navels in Arizona (purchased about 25+ years ago) were grafted onto sour orange rootstock --'course there were few freezes. I'm interested in acquiring citrus on the flying dragon stock and will see if I can find anything online about JAX Flying Dragon nursery.

Again, thanks
zeb
Yup, checked out Flying Dragon! That's where I got my Limequat .

The owner was very helpful in figuring out some of the differences in citrus varieties, but he knows best what he sells, and I could not get a straight enough answer about the differences, if any, between Bearrs lime and Persian/Tahiti.

I'm on a smallish city lot - no room for error when it comes to space, so I don't want to plant 2 of the same tree accidentally .

And yes, they do graft onto Flying Dragon stock which makes the citrus 1) cold hardy and 2) dwarf.

Thanks Karla and Deja-zebbie, Flying Dragon citrus is a really good find .

Flying Dragon Citrus Nursery (broken link)

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
lol riv the owner is a trip
I forgot to tell you to ask to see "the car"
The nice thing about FD nursery is if you are looking for something special he can get it for you
Thats how I ended up with my "sweet lemon"

deja-zebbie - riveree & I are great plant shopping buddies I have a feeling that both out husbands are going to ban us from visiting the nurseries one of these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden