Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 01:57 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times

Advertisements

My wife wants to plant some of these in the fall in her small 4' x 8' garden and I have some questions for her.

1) When should these be planted in NW Arkansas?

2) Where to get and what brand of seeds are the best? She wants turnips and the greens.

I am sure more questions will come up. Also any secrets on planting these is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 04:04 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Park Seed
Burpee Seed

Old 09-14-2023, 09:06 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

The last frost in the northern US is late April to late May. In NW Arkansas, it might indeed be late March to early April, however, you don't need to wait until after the last freeze to sow turnip seeds. *I've* planted turnip seeds at that time and it worked out, and I live much further north (southern Ontario).

For NW Arkansas, March weather can be a rather wild rollercoaster, not unusual to get hard freezes in the 10s to 80F+. If your seeds sprout and then get hit with 10-15F, it might could them to bolt. You could sow some seeds in late February as a gamble, for an early harvest, but I'd wait until mid-March to sow the bulk of your seeds - assuming the forecast looks relatively mild. Light freezes shouldn't be a problem for turnips. You can sow later successions maybe up to mid April for a continuous harvest. Summer heat hasn't been a problem for me, but our summer days are mostly 70-85F - I think 90F+ can be detrimental.

I grew this variety of turnip last year, and some of them got to be up to 2lbs in size.
https://store.experimentalfarmnetwor...whatsit-turnip

If you want an earlier harvest, you can just harvest when they're smaller.

Turnips can technically overwinter, even in my climate where it can get below 0F most winters, but such extreme cold will kill back the greens and might damage the root, and will only cause them to bolt when the weather warms, so it's only good if you want to collect seeds.

For a fall harvest, I'd recommend sowing seeds between mid August and early October. The early sowings will need to be watered well though to help them get through the initial heat. Maybe use shade cloth and drip irrigation?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-14-2023 at 11:17 PM..

Old 09-14-2023, 12:36 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you want to eat raw turnips, like in salads or with dip, I highly recommend the Hakurei turnip, It's crisp, juicy, and has a wonderful flavor. I don't know anything about eating turnip greens, so some one else will have to address that. The seed companies say you can eat the greens from hakurei, but according to them every seed they sell is absolutely the very best, so I prefer to get the opinion of someone who has actually grown and eaten the veggie. My experience with hakurei: turnips excellent, greens unknown.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:51 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times
We did get a crop of turnip greens, but the turnips were to small. I believe they were Burpee.
But we were able to buy turnips and the turnip backbone stew was fantastic. I don't know what my wife's plans are this year. She is still picking tomatoes.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:39 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Where I used to live, every year a farmer planted 5-10 acres of turnips in the Ohio River bottoms for whoever wanted them. Several of my coworkers liked to stand around eating them raw, some took the greens home and one man loaded his pickup, almost to overflowing, with turnips for he and his mother to can. He said they were delicious canned. The way I like mine is on somebody else's plate. lol

Old 09-15-2023, 12:43 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Where I used to live, every year a farmer planted 5-10 acres of turnips in the Ohio River bottoms for whoever wanted them. Several of my coworkers liked to stand around eating them raw, some took the greens home and one man loaded his pickup, almost to overflowing, with turnips for he and his mother to can. He said they were delicious canned. The way I like mine is on somebody else's plate. lol
Roasted with other roots like beets, carrots, parsnips etc and they are fantastic.

Old 09-15-2023, 05:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Throw them in a big ole pot and season them with fatback. You can thank me later.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:52 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Throw them in a big ole pot and season them with fatback. You can thank me later.
Wash them very well and be generous on the onions. Require hot sauce or pepper sauce:>)
Now I got cravings.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Add them to all the other ingredients that go into baked Bubble & Squeak cakes or patties. Not only the greens, the mashed turnips too. Mmmm mmmm good stuff!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden