U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 09:30 AM

168 posts, read 85,887 times

Advertisements

The unlandscaped land next to my house has goat's head and other tall weeds growing like crazy this summer. My arthritic wrists can't handle a weed eater for that. Is there an easy-to use electric mower that would cut down this weeds?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 10:24 AM

382 posts, read 116,234 times
Do a search for "Brush hog" and you will see that they offer everything from a weed whacker with a circular saw blade, to a unit pulled behind a tractor.

Some of the mid range offerings that seem like a weed whacker mounted on a 4 wheel lawnmower chassis sound like they might work for you.
Check your local rental agencies

Old 08-05-2022, 11:10 AM

1,334 posts, read 500,665 times
Scythe, or "weed cutter".

Old 08-05-2022, 11:37 AM

8,909 posts, read 4,905,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Scythe, or "weed cutter".
Agree; an old-fashioned scythe will certainly do the job, although not really neatly. You can always clean up the remaining bottom sections with a weed eater.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:15 PM

13,130 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
The unlandscaped land next to my house has goat's head and other tall weeds growing like crazy this summer. My arthritic wrists can't handle a weed eater for that. Is there an easy-to use electric mower that would cut down this weeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
Do a search for "Brush hog" and you will see that they offer everything from a weed whacker with a circular saw blade, to a unit pulled behind a tractor.

Some of the mid range offerings that seem like a weed whacker mounted on a 4 wheel lawnmower chassis sound like they might work for you.
Check your local rental agencies

Speaking as a woman who used lightweight aluminum handled scythes for decades but now has arthritis in my arms and upper body and have now had to forsake scythes and heavy power tools forever, this - bolded above ^ - is what I would look for too. A rental agency would be my first place of enquiry.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:20 PM

10,415 posts, read 13,565,543 times
Light hatchet or tomahawk: makes the job far easier

Old 08-05-2022, 03:29 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,897,867 times
The only way to get rid of a goat head is to dig it out by hand.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 5,294,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
.. Is there an easy-to use electric mower that would cut down this weeds?
"Easy to use" and "electric" being the key words here. I don't think so, but if you find one let us know!

My go to tool for high grass and weeds without stems that are too darned tough is a gas powered, string weed whacker on wheels. It must be pushed and it's gas, therefore not easy to use or electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden