U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 08:50 PM

183 posts, read 86,764 times

Advertisements

My morning glory vine stopped growing about 10 days ago. It had been growing very fast so I wonder what happened. With a close look, I saw the root became tuberous.
I wonder if it is a disease, caused by some parasites or insects. I know morning glories and sweet potatoes are closely related, but I have never seen it develop tubers.
Attached Thumbnails
Morning glory with tuberous root-31aef254-b7c1-44e0-a46f-53ffbb81b5a2.jpeg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 09:37 PM

1,910 posts, read 751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
My morning glory vine stopped growing about 10 days ago. It had been growing very fast so I wonder what happened. With a close look, I saw the root became tuberous.
I wonder if it is a disease, caused by some parasites or insects. I know morning glories and sweet potatoes are closely related, but I have never seen it develop tubers.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Morning_Glory

It is not unusual phenomenon

Old 08-10-2022, 11:09 PM

13,227 posts, read 11,761,798 times
Have you planted the exact same species before? I'm not seeing a tuber, I'm seeing what looks to me like just the top of a strong root crown that is swollen with water storage tissue, but it might be the top of a merremia tuberosa tuber (a type of morning glory) with the plant's stems growing out of it. Did the plant grow any flowers and if so what colour are they? Are they yellow? What shape are the leaves? Any chance of you posting a picture of the whole plant?

Old 08-11-2022, 01:47 PM

18,481 posts, read 12,048,579 times
Many species of morning glory (Ipomoea) form tuberous roots or caudexes. My personal fave:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Old 08-11-2022, 05:54 PM

183 posts, read 86,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Have you planted the exact same species before? I'm not seeing a tuber, I'm seeing what looks to me like just the top of a strong root crown that is swollen with water storage tissue, but it might be the top of a merremia tuberosa tuber (a type of morning glory) with the plant's stems growing out of it. Did the plant grow any flowers and if so what colour are they? Are they yellow? What shape are the leaves? Any chance of you posting a picture of the whole plant?

I got the two seedlings from a gardening shop in the spring. I don’t remember the exact variety but I think it was just a normal type. There is no flower yet.
I’m in Massachusetts and we just experienced a heat wave, quite unusual for August here (highs were above 95 for a few days). Technically we are not allowed to water non-vegetable plants outdoors due to the drought, but I watered them several times a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Morning glory with tuberous root-c38c6f08-ef4f-44c4-9675-6c204e738de4.jpeg  

Old 08-12-2022, 01:51 AM

13,227 posts, read 11,761,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I got the two seedlings from a gardening shop in the spring. I don’t remember the exact variety but I think it was just a normal type. There is no flower yet.
I’m in Massachusetts and we just experienced a heat wave, quite unusual for August here (highs were above 95 for a few days). Technically we are not allowed to water non-vegetable plants outdoors due to the drought, but I watered them several times a week.
Thanks for the picture. That is Common Morning Glory (Ipomoea Purpurea) and I don't think it is diseased. It looks healthy and robust but the leaves are just a little too tight/taut smooth skinned and a paler yellowish-green than normal from over-watering which may be causing the roots and leaves to swell a bit from water retention.

Common Morning Glory can handle heat and fairly dry or droughty conditions better than a lot of other plants can and is easy to over-water. So only water it once a week, maybe twice a week at the very most if there is really extreme heat/dryness, so that the roots don't split and rot. During your heat wave when you give it water make sure you dribble the water slowly to allow an inch or two in depth to soak into the soil slowly.

So dribbling in this case means add some water slowly then stop for a few seconds to allow that to sink into the soil, then dribble some more water, stop again for that to sink in, dribble again, repeat that a couple more times and then stop and wait to see when the water stops soaking in and starts pooling at the surface around the stems..... when that happens then you are done, stop and the pooling water on the surface will sink down gradually. If you do that once a week during the heat wave the leaves and roots should stop retaining too much water and the leaves should turn a slightly darker emerald green, should lose some of their tautness of skin and gain a wee bit more texture on their upper sides. Once your heat wave is over you won't need to dribble water slowly any more, just water as usual once a week like normal.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden