U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 AM

1,525 posts, read 618,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
After reading this book, I am very hesitant to eat/touch anything I didn't buy in a store. It is amazing how much dangerous stuff is out there.

"Wicked Plants"
The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother & Other Botanical Atrocities
https://www.amystewart.com/books/wicked-plants/
Nature is so amazing...the variety of life it produces is mind boggling. I want to read this book. Thank you for mentioning it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 04:53 PM

6,310 posts, read 10,137,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I used to pick unfamiliar weeds and take them to my computer for help with indentification.
It'll be cell phone photos only after reading this. Has anyone ever picked a strange plant and had a reaction?

https://www.discovery.com/nature/Suicide-Plant
Yeah, I tried to weed Stinging Nettle once by hand before knowing what it was. It's a unique and very uncomfortable pain. It is a mistake you only make once.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:22 PM

I picked either poison ivy or poison oak once as a child because I thought it was pretty. We probably all make that mistake as children.

Insects can be just as bad. I have been stung/bitten by a variety of insects over the years. Some produced awful effects. A couple of years ago I cut down an evergreen tree that a previous tenant had planted so close to the wall that it was pushing against the eavestroughing. At the time, I did not feel anything at all, but a little later, I noticed terrible looking whelps rising up all over my legs that itched like mad. Several days later, perplexed, I did a little research and found out I had been bitten by chiggers. All I can say is, if you ever have to cut down or prune an evergreen, be sure to wear clothing that completely covers your arms, hands, legs, and feet. Wear a hat with netting if you have one. It took WEEKS for those bites to finally go away.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:18 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,715,333 times
One day, I went outside and saw a gorgeous purple flower blooming under my bird feeders. I grabbed thick leather gloves and pulled it out by the root. Yep, it was jimsonweed. How it got there, I have no clue. But my familiarity with others in the datura genus made me realize right away that this beautiful plant was likely poisonous. I of course did not put it on my compost pile.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
One day, I went outside and saw a gorgeous purple flower blooming under my bird feeders. I grabbed thick leather gloves and pulled it out by the root. Yep, it was jimsonweed. How it got there, I have no clue. But my familiarity with others in the datura genus made me realize right away that this beautiful plant was likely poisonous. I of course did not put it on my compost pile.
It is very likely came in bird droppings, yes? I know that is how Greenbriar Vine ended up in my garden a couple of times.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:09 PM

8,339 posts, read 4,289,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Now, you know, what kind of seeds are in your bird feeders!

Old 11-13-2022, 01:39 PM

13,506 posts, read 12,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Now, you know, what kind of seeds are in your bird feeders!
Most likely the datura seeds were brought to the feeder and pooped out onto the ground there by a bird that was visiting the feeder.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:14 PM

721 posts, read 613,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have a weed growing behind some azaleas. It seems to have a strong and long tap root. I cannot dig it out with a spade. Can I just pour a bit of weed killer on it? I am afraid I will lose my azaleas?
I wouldn't. . . .

What I do to attempt killing cacti is to cut it mostly down, making the cut at or above ground, level . . . and then 'scooping' a 'bowl' into the top of it. . . . I then pour 5% vinegar into said 'bowl' & allow it to be absorbed, several times. . . . They have never grown back. . . .

IDK how your weed would respond to that kind of treatment, though. . . .

Post pics of it to an online group specializing in plant IDs,

then research it to find out how to perminently remove it.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:41 PM

183 posts, read 53,627 times
Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophotodermatitis

Old 12-12-2022, 09:04 AM
KB4

848 posts, read 1,440,634 times
I've never heard of this tree nor encountered it. A few years back I must have touched a poisonous plant, not sure which one, that left a burn-like mark on my arm. The doctor had no idea what could have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden