U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:15 PM

1,526 posts, read 636,214 times

Advertisements

Who is/are your garden guru(s), or do you have any? I really like P. Allen Smith and watch a lot of his videos. I ordered a couple of his books as well. He is a sort of male Martha Stewart for the garden. Like Martha, he is a good presenter and very methodical. I think he explains things well and does not leave me with too many questions about things. He is very easy on the eyes, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,658 posts, read 72,561,473 times
We have a local guru, Ciscoe Morris, who does radio and TV, but also many public appearances. I have met him several times,
he's a really friendly, fun and humorous guy, and I have learned a lot from him.

https://www.seattleschild.com/oh-la-...ciscoe-morris/

Old 09-29-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have a local guru, Ciscoe Morris, who does radio and TV, but also many public appearances. I have met him several times,
he's a really friendly, fun and humorous guy, and I have learned a lot from him.

https://www.seattleschild.com/oh-la-...ciscoe-morris/
I need to find someone like that here!

Old 09-30-2022, 06:48 AM

80,544 posts, read 68,585,005 times
This guy is. My neighbor. 86yrs old still doing a 40' x 18' garden. End of season now but he had 80 tomato plants, you can see the pile back there.

Last month. The tomatoes looked like trees. lol

Old 09-30-2022, 01:05 PM

^^^ Wow, amazing!

Old 09-30-2022, 11:19 PM

I learnt something new tonight from my garden guru! We have all dealt with wasps building their nests everywhere including on the ceilings of our porches, yes? Well, did you know that the colour pale blue will seriously deter this behaviour? Neither did I! Smith says pale blue "confuses" the wasps, and they will not build on that colour. Fascinating and very useful tip!

Old 11-09-2022, 06:07 PM

494 posts, read 361,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Who is/are your garden guru(s), or do you have any? I really like P. Allen Smith and watch a lot of his videos. I ordered a couple of his books as well. He is a sort of male Martha Stewart for the garden. Like Martha, he is a good presenter and very methodical. I think he explains things well and does not leave me with too many questions about things. He is very easy on the eyes, too!
My parents. They do a 60x90 garden and are 83 and 80 years old. They don't use chemicals and get fantastic results. They hand weed. this year 800lbs of potatoes harvested, 100 plants of tomatoes that they canned and processed, broccoli, kale, pumpkins, Brussel sprouts, white and yellow onions, arugula, cucumbers, carrots (they gave us 40lbs), various herbs, and probably a few things I forgot.

They were recently featured in a story about oldsters and gardening that had pictures and an interview. They are mentally sharp, physically fit, and don't need any form of medication. I won't be shocked if they make it to 100.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
My parents. They do a 60x90 garden and are 83 and 80 years old. They don't use chemicals and get fantastic results. They hand weed. this year 800lbs of potatoes harvested, 100 plants of tomatoes that they canned and processed, broccoli, kale, pumpkins, Brussel sprouts, white and yellow onions, arugula, cucumbers, carrots (they gave us 40lbs), various herbs, and probably a few things I forgot.

They were recently featured in a story about oldsters and gardening that had pictures and an interview. They are mentally sharp, physically fit, and don't need any form of medication. I won't be shocked if they make it to 100.
That is amazing!!! Gives us all hope, yes? Please share the link to the story if you have it. Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-11-2022, 06:09 AM

80,544 posts, read 68,585,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post

Awesome! They are true inspirations for sure.

No Farm, No Food. Lets take care of and respect our farmers and gardeners.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:51 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,834,300 times
I'm mostly a specimen tree admirer. If you want to geek out on Japanese Maples there is no better place IMO than "Mr Maple". I follow them on instagram and Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden