Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2022, 11:01 AM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times
Reputation: 3415

Advertisements

What are the things on your to do list to get ready for Winter? Do you have any great tips to share?

I normally add compost and mulch to the beds, and I store my garden stuff in the garage. I will not add the compost and mulch this year because I am moving out of my home, but I have begun to store my decorative garden items in a storage unit. Today, I hung one of my hoses on the fence to hopefully dry out so it can be stored. That is the most I know to do with the hose. How do you prepare your hoses, or do you leave your hoses hanging outside all year long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2022, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Reputation: 12679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
What are the things on your to do list to get ready for Winter? Do you have any great tips to share?

I normally add compost and mulch to the beds, and I store my garden stuff in the garage. I will not add the compost and mulch this year because I am moving out of my home, but I have begun to store my decorative garden items in a storage unit. Today, I hung one of my hoses on the fence to hopefully dry out so it can be stored. That is the most I know to do with the hose. How do you prepare your hoses, or do you leave your hoses hanging outside all year long?
My hoses are coiled inside 'hose pots' year round. Before it gets really cold I will disconnect and drain as much water out as I can.

As far as the garden itself
1) I have removed all the potting soil from planting pots too large to move inside.
2) New pine straw mulch over my glads and jonquils
3) Getting the hyacinth bed ready -- will plant the bulbs in a week or two
4) Put bird netting over some of the shrubs that the deer over graze
5) I emptied, washed and stored the smaller pots 2 weeks ago right before our first frost
6) Mulching the tree leaves is an ongoing chore that is not even half done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2022, 12:07 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
My hoses are coiled inside 'hose pots' year round. Before it gets really cold I will disconnect and drain as much water out as I can.

As far as the garden itself
1) I have removed all the potting soil from planting pots too large to move inside.
2) New pine straw mulch over my glads and jonquils
3) Getting the hyacinth bed ready -- will plant the bulbs in a week or two
4) Put bird netting over some of the shrubs that the deer over graze
5) I emptied, washed and stored the smaller pots 2 weeks ago right before our first frost
6) Mulching the tree leaves is an ongoing chore that is not even half done
You have been a busy bee! Good for you! Where do you buy bird netting?? Amazon??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2022, 01:36 PM
 
Location: on the wind
23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Reputation: 75172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You have been a busy bee! Good for you! Where do you buy bird netting?? Amazon??
Lots of options and associated supplies here...plus you can buy it in bulk instead of trying to force a pre-cut size to work. If you need a lot, the bulk price is probably lower. I've used their products to construct my aviaries for years.

https://www.nixalite.com/products/bird-netting

Given I'm really not much of a gardener (I refuse to get upset over store bought trees/shrubs eaten by marauding moose and also refuse to erect 10" solid board fencing to prevent it), about all I do to winterize is move my few decorative planters away from the areas the snowplows will need to push the stuff, clean and set out birdfeeders, haul buckets of beach sand home to scatter on icy walking paths, shut off and insulate hose bibs, and remember to cancel the lawn mower guy. If I leave the grass longer for winter, it attracts grazing moose. I enjoy luring them closer to the house because they're fun to watch. They return the favor by fertilizing the grass. If the grass is left too short, they never come around.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-22-2022 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2022, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Reputation: 12679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You have been a busy bee! Good for you! Where do you buy bird netting?? Amazon??
WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, ACE.....and yes, Amazon has it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Reputation: 16619
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
What are the things on your to do list to get ready for Winter? Do you have any great tips to share?

I normally add compost and mulch to the beds, and I store my garden stuff in the garage. I will not add the compost and mulch this year because I am moving out of my home, but I have begun to store my decorative garden items in a storage unit. Today, I hung one of my hoses on the fence to hopefully dry out so it can be stored. That is the most I know to do with the hose. How do you prepare your hoses, or do you leave your hoses hanging outside all year long?
Great thread! As many of us know once October comes around our mind set changes and we start to prepare.


My list:

Clean garden beds
Spread compost
Add Humic Acid and Winter guard to lawn
Remove all hoses and put in shed
Bring all garden ornaments into shed
Bring firewood to porch and deck
Clean Wood stove/pipe
Shift power tools in garage put snow blower up front
Oil burner maintenance
Format micro sd cards in outside cameras
Check and clean weather station
Remove screen door put storm door up
Add insulation to attic fan window
Vehicle oil changes
Check salt inventory
Start thinking of Croc Pot and Soup meals
Shut valve off to outside spigots

Usually spread out over 4-6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 06:47 AM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Great thread! As many of us know once October comes around our mind set changes and we start to prepare.


My list:

Clean garden beds
Spread compost
Add Humic Acid and Winter guard to lawn
Remove all hoses and put in shed
Bring all garden ornaments into shed
Bring firewood to porch and deck
Clean Wood stove/pipe
Shift power tools in garage put snow blower up front
Oil burner maintenance
Format micro sd cards in outside cameras
Check and clean weather station
Remove screen door put storm door up
Add insulation to attic fan window
Vehicle oil changes
Check salt inventory
Start thinking of Croc Pot and Soup meals
Shut valve off to outside spigots

Usually spread out over 4-6 weeks.
Cambium, you have this down to a science!

I do not do all that you do, but I do not have the wherewithal to do it, e.g. taking down the screen door and putting up a storm door (storm doors are essential in many parts of the country, too), and adding insulation. Wish I had security cameras outside, too. Wish I had someone like you to help me do all of this! Thank you for reminding me that the old motor needs an oil change. I tend to forget because I drive so little anymore.

Do you have any birdbaths that are too big and heavy to move inside? If so, do you wrap them for the Winter with some sort of insulating material? Do you provide some sort of water station for the birds during the Winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Reputation: 16619
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Do you have any birdbaths that are too big and heavy to move inside? If so, do you wrap them for the Winter with some sort of insulating material? Do you provide some sort of water station for the birds during the Winter?

You just reminded me about 1 statue we have that's a birdbath. Heavy. I'll use a dolly to bring inside. If left outside it would just crack. Birds pretty much hibernate here but when it warms up in winter we have plenty of worms, berries, and other nature food sources.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
How do you prepare your hoses, or do you leave your hoses hanging outside all year long?
Regarding this.. I have a sloped driveway and front yard so I extend them and drain them out then roll them up and store away. I'll keep 1 hose outside but make sure its not full of water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 03:43 PM
 
Location: on the wind
23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Reputation: 75172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

If I leave the grass longer for winter, it attracts grazing moose. I enjoy luring them closer to the house because they're fun to watch. They return the favor by fertilizing the grass. If the grass is left too short, they never come around.
Speak of the devil, the proof's in the pudding. Woke up to this gent right outside the window:
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Ready-grazing-moose-1.jpg  

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2022 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Reputation: 8944
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
What are the things on your to do list to get ready for Winter? Do you have any great tips to share?

I normally add compost and mulch to the beds, and I store my garden stuff in the garage. I will not add the compost and mulch this year because I am moving out of my home, but I have begun to store my decorative garden items in a storage unit. Today, I hung one of my hoses on the fence to hopefully dry out so it can be stored. That is the most I know to do with the hose. How do you prepare your hoses, or do you leave your hoses hanging outside all year long?
I bring my hoses into the garage. I simply take them off the faucet, then stretch them out with one end higher than the other. They'll fully drain that way. Then I coil them and bring them inside, and put the foam covers over the faucets. I do all my faucets, even the one that's a freeze plug one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top