U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 12:00 PM

16,416 posts, read 53,644,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Used to work for a Japanese automaker as an engineer. It is not surprising that Honda failed in the gas mower business - realize that their chief engineers live on a rock in the Pacific where mowing grass like we do here in North America is a baffling exercise. I am sure it's not a profitable sector for them in any case.

As others have mentioned above Honda engines are still among the best in the world, and accordingly, they are not cheap. But if the engine is coupled to a mower structure that falls apart in a year of use, what good is it? Who is going to pay a premium price for that?

It's not only Honda, the durability of yard/garden equipment has been deteriorating for decades. I am old enough to remember the Simplicity and Power King garden tractors that were designed to last indefinitely. You can still see those machines in use 40 and 50 years later. Same thing with the original Troy-Bilt tillers, they were nearly indestructible. Today's cheap junk version is a joke compared to the original design.
Yeah, I have a Troy-Bilt Horse tiller with the industrial engine, will probably outlast me.

Got a Troy-Bilt mower, a mulcher, from about 1991, not long before T-B went out of business. Still going strong, I'm glad I bought the accessories and a spare blade, none of this stuff would be easy to find now. This is essentially a Lawn Boy with a 4-stroke engine. Very good mulching performance that I don't know how you can get new anymore.

The tiller I bought used, the mower new. Also bought a chipper-shredder to take on leaves in the yard, bought it new as well, it has done OK but I understand this is the product that brought T-B down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 12:28 PM

17,352 posts, read 20,074,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, I have a Troy-Bilt Horse tiller with the industrial engine, will probably outlast me.

Got a Troy-Bilt mower, a mulcher, from about 1991, not long before T-B went out of business. Still going strong, I'm glad I bought the accessories and a spare blade, none of this stuff would be easy to find now. This is essentially a Lawn Boy with a 4-stroke engine. Very good mulching performance that I don't know how you can get new anymore.

The tiller I bought used, the mower new. Also bought a chipper-shredder to take on leaves in the yard, bought it new as well, it has done OK but I understand this is the product that brought T-B down.
The chipper brought down T-B? Usually its been market consolidation. For example Case went to Ingersoll Rand, then Ingersoll Rand to the Rothenberger Group and then pretty much done. Which is a shame I had a nice Ingersoll-Rand 4000 garden tractor which had a pure hydraulic PTO, and the chipper shredder was awesome- one step below a commercial grade. Used the hell out of it in WV. Parts become a b*tch to find and I literally sold it for parts when I couldn't find some parts.

An old friend of mine has a collection of fully restored and in use Gravely equipment. The nicest is a top of the line mower with a riding sulky. He buys nothing but Gravely equipment- I think he has their top of the line zero-turn.

I've got old Farmall Cub tractors, one with a mower, one with a belly blade.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:42 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,162,813 times
My Honda 21" Self Propelled is on it's second rebirth.

It is about 10 years old and works fine, although by last year it was starting to suffer from worn out parts: Wheel axles, belt, chute, etc...nothing major, but enough that i decided it was time to buy a new one.

I waited until the fall when they were sure to go on sale, just like every other year.

Nope. By November there was absolutely zero inventory and literally just one machine left in America offered by a private individual who was asking like $900 for a $500 lawnmower.

This mower has been great, and with the note that i suffer from a previously fractured spine, the fact that to move it you squeeze a handle and it pulls you forward is a preference for me. The Toro Personal Pace i previously had, and wore out in a similar number of years, was a "push it" to make it move forward. It killed my back having to keep that constant pressure on the handle-bar to keep it moving forward.

So, with my decision made that it had to be a Honda, i dismantled the entire mower, inventoried the worn out parts, and six weeks later (delayed availability and slow shipping, etc.) all the parts were in hand. I rebuilt the thing from the ground up.

This summer after about 50 hours of mowing it is working great. Couldn't be happier.

But now, with Honda going out of the mower business, what to do? I am thinking that next summer i will buy a new one from Honda and run the old one until it dies, or give it to a needy homeowner, and keep the new one for the next decade or so.

Could not be more pleased with my Honda mower and the performance it gives me. I regularly service it and keep it in top notch shape to do the trimming /small spaces on a couple of acres of grass. Starts first pull every time and gives me zero problems.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:34 PM

21,834 posts, read 10,020,555 times
I don't have any numbers to support or refute this but my sense is fewer and fewer people are mowing the yard themselves. When I was growing up, we lived in a solid middle class neighborhood and there was almost never a lawn mowing company seen. Lawns were mowed by the occupants or the teenager down the street. Everyone had a mower in the garage. In my current neighborhood, there's only a few homeowners mowing their own yard and I know many people who don't own a mower.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:43 AM

5,304 posts, read 6,051,739 times
Quote:
My original TB Horse has a Tecumseh engine. I put a fuel cut-off switch on it and let it run dry when finished for the season (to keep the carb clean). It will usually start on the first pull next season.

Quote:
Got a Troy-Bilt mower, a mulcher, from about 1991, not long before T-B went out of business.
Didn't MTD buy Troy-Bilt ?

Old 11-04-2022, 10:09 AM

23,528 posts, read 9,845,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
According to an Oct. 3 announcement posted to the Honda dealer Interactive Network, Honda will end its lawn mower production by September 2023 and left over inventory will be offered in 2024 until it is sold out.

The statement from Honda Power Sports & Products said the company plans to discontinue production of lawn mowers at its North Carolina manufacturing facility in September 2023 and move all-terrain vehicle production there from its South Carolina facility. The South Carolina facility will "solely focus on Honda side-by-side production."

"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."
German manufacturer Stihl which is best known for it's chainsaws and other outdoor machinery, initially started to sell the Viking Range of Lawn Mowers however it has now started selling mowers under the Stihl name, and is generally noted for being a quality company.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:53 AM

16,416 posts, read 53,644,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
My original TB Horse has a Tecumseh engine. I put a fuel cut-off switch on it and let it run dry when finished for the season (to keep the carb clean). It will usually start on the first pull next season.

Didn't MTD buy Troy-Bilt ?
AFIK MTD bought the name, but what you get now as a new "Troy-Bilt" is not any better than any other MTD mower or tiller.

I think the original company went bankrupt in the mid-90's.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:02 PM

3,617 posts, read 6,312,714 times
I have the Honda HRX 201-CC and love it. The deck is literally one solid piece of steel, not aluminum or another alloy piece of crap. I can't imagine it would fall apart at all, if in the next 10 years.

The engine starts immediately and it cuts like a champion. If I maintain it well I imagine I can get at least 10 years out of it.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:50 PM
46H

1,542 posts, read 1,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Losing a reliable source due to "government environmental regulations" is another jab at the consumer pocket. Unbelievable
Honda's commentary is just cover for "we cannot make money selling lawnmowers". The "government environmental regulations" apply to all the other lawnmower manufacturers, too.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:37 PM

552 posts, read 295,350 times
I always aspired to own one, but never got around to coming up with the five or six bills they wanted for the models I had my eye on. When my old Toro finally died, I went in and bought the cheapest 21" electric Ego mower they had at Lowe's. I figured it wouldn't last long and/or I wouldn't like it, but after a season of cutting I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. No gas, no oil and I can cut my little yard front and back without even stressing the battery.

I still have my Honda GC powered pressure washer though, I guess by the time it dies I'll be replacing it with an electric one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden