Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 09:56 PM

56 posts, read 43,326 times

Advertisements

Trimmers without a guard will improve work efficiency but will also have a negative impact on the lifespan of trimmers. And safety is also a crucial factor. What do you think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 10:17 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Do you mean a weed-whacker type of trimmer? If so, let me just say that you haven't lived until you get whacked yourself by a flying rock that the string picked up. I wouldn't remove it based on my own experience. The lifespan and efficiency of the trimmer would be the least of my concerns.

If you're talking about some other type of trimmer, I'm no help.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:57 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
No I keep it on. The string when let out to guard length allows the guard to be a guide around walls and obstacles. You don't fry your string that way.

I thought everyone knew that?

Old 10-20-2022, 11:44 PM

56 posts, read 43,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Do you mean a weed-whacker type of trimmer? If so, let me just say that you haven't lived until you get whacked yourself by a flying rock that the string picked up. I wouldn't remove it based on my own experience. The lifespan and efficiency of the trimmer would be the least of my concerns.

If you're talking about some other type of trimmer, I'm no help.
Yep, I mean weed eaters. I keep the guard on my weed eater. But I heard from others that taking it off will improve work efficiency.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:49 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No I keep it on. The string when let out to guard length allows the guard to be a guide around walls and obstacles. You don't fry your string that way.

I thought everyone knew that?
That, and when you hit the button to extend the string, the guard has a sharp edge and cuts it off to the proper length.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:48 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
Yep, I mean weed eaters. I keep the guard on my weed eater. But I heard from others that taking it off will improve work efficiency.
Yeah, it'll be real efficient when you have to stop trimming because the thing just threw a rock at you and knocked out a front tooth, or worst case (if you're not wearing goggles) put your eye out.

If you "heard from others" that picking up a running lawnmower and holding it in your hands as a hedge trimmer would "improve work efficiency", would you do it?

Take a look at professional lawn crews and tell me how many pieces of equipment with the guards removed you see. (Hint: it's an integer less than one.)

Old 10-21-2022, 07:33 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
But I heard from others that taking it off will improve work efficiency.
Who are these Others, and how did they determine it was more efficient? What does more efficient mean - uses less string, cuts quicker, etc ?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:03 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Who are these Others, and how did they determine it was more efficient? What does more efficient mean - uses less string, cuts quicker, etc ?
The guard prevents you from getting in tight spaces. When the name of the game is to cut and trim as many lawns as possible, speed is essential. I ran a lawn service company on the side for about 15 years. The first thing I always did was remove the guard. Most lawn care professionals in my area do the same.

People who cut and trim their own lawns would probably be best served to leave the guard on. They are not cutting and trimming 20-30 lawns in 1 day.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:22 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
I always remove guards on my tools when it makes them more efficient but ive never run into a situation where I felt my weed whacker needed the guard to be removed.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:54 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
I do NOT remove guards on my tools; I worked in manufacturing too long. While I never saw any gory accidents in person, I saw an awful lot of training films and I saw and experienced too many close calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden