U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 11:34 AM

7,543 posts, read 5,039,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
You just have to buy a new rare-earth battery every couple years, one that costs nearly as much as a new mower. And thus pollute far more than a better quality gas engine mower that lasts 30 years if you take care of it..
Gasoline mowers have annual costs that could add up over a few years to rival the cost of a replacement battery: spark plugs, air filters, gasoline (especially ethanol free gas), motor oil, carb cleaner and gas treatments. Battery mowers might be a little more expensive in the long run but they require far less time and maintenance than small gas engines and eliminate the risk of toxic spills in the garage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 11:44 AM

7,543 posts, read 5,039,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The surest way to avoid your lawnmower not starting is to not have a lawnmower. My lawn service mows my lawn for $25 every two weeks. 3 or 4 guys swarm on it like locusts and are done in 15 minutes.
Using a lawn service makes you dependent on the labor market and we have seen significant labor shortages
during and after COVID. My strategy is to replace turf grass with gardens that produce fruit, berries, vegetables and other wild edibles...eliminate the cost of maintaining useless, turf grass and get an ongoing supply of some free food.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,548 posts, read 72,411,193 times
Quote:
You just have to buy a new rare-earth battery every couple years, one that costs nearly as much as a new mower. And thus pollute far more than a better quality gas engine mower that lasts 30 years if you take care of it.

Big hint, if there is a serious amount plastic in a product, longevity wasnt a primary goal in its engineering.

All I am seeing anymore is insane priced, heavily plastic encrusted mowers. Thats electric and gas mowers BOTH.

Most common reason gas mower wont start is cause people dont either drain them dry in fall nor use the fuel shut off between the tank and the carburetor. The prime reason an electric mower wont run beyond ten minutes is it needs a new $300 battery. Or the el cheapo crappo Chinese electric motor failed.
One of my neighbors has an electric mower, but it's corded. It's green, and so was the cord. I noticed last time I saw it he had an orange cord. I suspect the green one got chopped up. I have an electric hedge trimmer, and an electric pole chainsaw, but those don't normally need to run a long time. I also have a gas chain saw, more practical if gathering wood in the woods, or cutting up logs to fireplace length. Different varieties of tools have different functions, and some are better at some things, not as good at others.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,548 posts, read 72,411,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Gasoline mowers have annual costs that could add up over a few years to rival the cost of a replacement battery: spark plugs, air filters, gasoline (especially ethanol free gas), motor oil, carb cleaner and gas treatments. Battery mowers might be a little more expensive in the long run but they require far less time and maintenance than small gas engines and eliminate the risk of toxic spills in the garage.
I bought my riding mower used, in 2010 when already 12 years old. I have change the oil once in 12 years, and put new tires on it (about $100) and that's it. It still starts right up with the same spark plug (I just clean it and the air filter every year). It has no gas filter, and I use regular gas in it. I don't need to use gas treatment since I use it as late as November (last weekend) and then start again about April.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:24 PM

21,796 posts, read 9,998,153 times
Quote:
Using a lawn service makes you dependent on the labor market and we have seen significant labor shortages
during and after COVID. My strategy is to replace turf grass with gardens that produce fruit, berries, vegetables and other wild edibles...eliminate the cost of maintaining useless, turf grass and get an ongoing supply of some free food.
I'd prefer that solution but... HOA. Here in Texas, not likely to have a labor shortage of lawn guys.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:42 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,076,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
My lawn is covered with snow.

Same here. Seems like a funny time of year for this type of post.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,290,034 times
Quote:

????I change oil once a year and dont appreciate the modern engines that want me to turn mower on its side to accomplish this. But its the way they do it anymore so do what I have to do and clean up the resulting mess. I keep air filter clean, replace it as needed, usually maybe once every three years. And sharpen blade as needed. No self propel stuff so none of that to deal with. Things I mention are NOT a high cost. I dont buy gas treatments or worry about ethanol gas. Just use the fuel shut off between gas tank and carburetor so carb doesnt get gummed up from evaporating gas. Occasionally will get some water in gas, big whoop, remove carb bowl, drain it, Bob's your uncle. Dont have any great expense. Expense comes cause of stupid design features like plastic wheels with no real bearings or other plastic shortcuts in manufacture/design. That kind nonsense. I keep spare new $2 spark plug around and replace if it seems to need it. But usually they last several years. Most repairs are trivial cost if you do them yourself. Course you hire some expensive shop to do simple stuff, it wont be cheap. Or if you have mower with lot complexity built in so it makes you breakfast and goes on the internet to chat about politics. Keep it mechanically simple, keep it cheap.

The old Japanese made Honda OHV engines would go 30+ years with good maintenance. The Japanese and USA made OHC engines will go 20+ years with maintenance. The older flathead Briggs would last 15+years. The newer Briggs OHV go 5 to 10 years though most give up on them early due to the annoying plastic carburetors. I have one Murray mower with Briggs 140cc OHV that friend gave me after giving up on it. I tossed the plastic carb, made an adapter and use an old Tecumseh carburetor on it with an adjustable main jet. Also added a shutoff valve between tank and carb as Briggs doesnt include one. Tecumseh carb is so much friendlier. Really not bad engine, sure not great one though.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:45 PM

43,599 posts, read 18,664,458 times
Quote:
You just have to buy a new rare-earth battery every couple years, one that costs nearly as much as a new mower. And thus pollute far more than a better quality gas engine mower that lasts 30 years if you take care of it.

Big hint, if there is a serious amount plastic in a product, longevity wasnt a primary goal in its engineering.

All I am seeing anymore is insane priced, heavily plastic encrusted mowers. Thats electric and gas mowers BOTH.

Most common reason gas mower wont start is cause people dont either drain them dry in fall nor use the fuel shut off between the tank and the carburetor. The prime reason an electric mower wont run beyond ten minutes is it needs a new $300 battery. Or the el cheapo crappo Chinese electric motor failed.
I've had my rechargeable battery-powered mower for over 7 years. The mower runs more than 4 hours on one charge; more than enough time for me to mow my front and back yards on two occasions. It spends winters in my shed, through months of brutally cold weather. I hook up the charger once or twice during the winter months, just to keep the battery charged. The mower has never failed to start and run perfectly. It has never required any maintenance. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight of the battery, which sits rather high. It makes the mower top-heavy, which is a pain when I'm mowing the hilly part of my front lawn.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:26 PM

575 posts, read 287,476 times
The numerous "safety" interlocks are another trouble spot.
I'm guilty of forgetting to pull back the "Yes I'm alive." bar occasionally.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:04 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,902,575 times
Thank you for this. I can use this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden