U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 06:34 PM

25,920 posts, read 16,949,207 times

Advertisements

My EGO never missed a beat pete in the 5 years i had it in FL that gets year round use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 07:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,028,064 times
I had a Lawnboy mower about eight years ago. It was a highly rated mower. After the first year I started having issues with the carburetor. I brought it back to the shop multiple times. The guys there told me the problem was that the carbs had very little tolerance in the newer mowers. Using typical gas was a no go; you have to use non-ethanol gas.

I bought a new Honda and only use non-ethanol gas in it and all of my small engines. They run flawlessly and have for years. I use Sta-bil gas treatment in my containers and in my engines. They are good every spring; start right up.

As a side note I would definitely consider an electric system. Buy the Ego mower and snow blower and use the same batteries for both. That’s what all our kids will be using I would guess.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:17 PM

10,281 posts, read 3,945,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I had a Lawnboy mower about eight years ago. It was a highly rated mower. After the first year I started having issues with the carburetor. I brought it back to the shop multiple times. The guys there told me the problem was that the carbs had very little tolerance in the newer mowers. Using typical gas was a no go; you have to use non-ethanol gas.

I bought a new Honda and only use non-ethanol gas in it and all of my small engines. They run flawlessly and have for years. I use Sta-bil gas treatment in my containers and in my engines. They are good every spring; start right up.

As a side note I would definitely consider an electric system. Buy the Ego mower and snow blower and use the same batteries for both. That’s what all our kids will be using I would guess.
The closest non-ethanol gas for me is almost 30 miles away and the next closest is over 50, so that's a non-starter. As is the $20/gallon stuff at Lowes and Home Depot. I've had my electric mower a little over 2 years, and the battery is as strong as when I started.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:13 PM

49 posts, read 21,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes to all. I had experience with all those being the reason and even include a blocked air filter.

I found this guy on YouTube recently and I enjoy his videos on lawnmowers. Might learn a couple things from him. TommyTime
Thanks.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:15 PM

49 posts, read 21,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post

Really appreciate it!

Old 11-22-2022, 09:07 PM

20,099 posts, read 17,369,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Common reasons? A hot sunny day and a recently purchased six pack. Interpersonal relationships. Lack of an available offspring and $10 to spare.

(You asked)
in my family growing up it was:
out of gas
person not strong enough pulling the cord
person did not want to mow the lawn so they said it would not start
person feigns inability to avoid mowing the lawn
fodder for argument such as "i told you we should have done __________" often totally unrelated to the lawn or mowing or machinery at gardening at all

Old 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM

58 posts, read 18,184 times
Dead battery

Old 11-23-2022, 08:22 AM

2,021 posts, read 848,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The closest non-ethanol gas for me is almost 30 miles away and the next closest is over 50, so that's a non-starter. As is the $20/gallon stuff at Lowes and Home Depot. I've had my electric mower a little over 2 years, and the battery is as strong as when I started.
I use the expensive stuff from HD. I buy a couple gallons a year. If I had a big riding mower or something like that, I'd probably use regular gas and run it dry every fall.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:50 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,289,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I've had my rechargeable battery-powered mower for over 7 years. The mower runs more than 4 hours on one charge; more than enough time for me to mow my front and back yards on two occasions. It spends winters in my shed, through months of brutally cold weather. I hook up the charger once or twice during the winter months, just to keep the battery charged. The mower has never failed to start and run perfectly. It has never required any maintenance. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight of the battery, which sits rather high. It makes the mower top-heavy, which is a pain when I'm mowing the hilly part of my front lawn.

Talk to me again in another 23+ years, if its still going then, I grant bragging rights. The Japanese made Honda engines set what should be current standard, namely 30 years lifespan. Though just opposite, they cheapened their engines. And since those early OHV Honda engines only came on Honda mowers, usually problem at 30+ years isnt a failed engine, but failed self-propel features with no spare parts available. Course by 30years, the engine life probably limited so not real worth lot efforts to re-engineer. Though think new set rings and lapping the valves probably give many more useful years. I havent owned one that long, but suspect the newer OHC engines, though cheapened compared to the OHV engines, if one is resourceful has potential of 25year. Its just at high end of usual longevity, one has to decide if its worth time and cost to refurbish.

Way things are going with cheapest new plastic mowers hitting $300+ suspect it becomes far more worthwhile to refurbish older more robust models. Blame it on Honda to show what lifespan of lawn mower could/should be. Five year lifespan is nothing and complete waste of resources. Instead of cheapening for ever shorter lifespan, should shoot for a 50 year lifespan. Anathema to capitalists of course. They want to sell far more production than that would allow. but great for the planet. Sell ever more product to ever more people.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:51 PM

5,584 posts, read 11,153,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My EGO never missed a beat pete in the 5 years i had it in FL that gets year round use.
I've recently purchased a few EGO things - leaf blower, hedge trimmer, trimmer. Great stuff.

Some things, I'll stick to gas, since hazardous weather might impact charging/recharging (snow blowers/chainsaws, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden