Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 07:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times

Advertisements

I have several pots of mini roses that I keep outside all year. I let them sit on top of the soil in the garden beds, and the warmth coming up from the earth was enough to see them through the last few Winters, even Winter before last which broke all sorts of records here. This year, however, I have moved into a tiny apartment. I no longer have garden beds, but I have a balcony which is cement/concrete. I am worried how they will fare out there without the earth's natural warmth coming up through the soil. Any recommendations other than to bring them indoors? There really is no room indoors unfortunately. It is just a one room apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 11:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
There's a variety of things you can do to protect them on the balcony depending on the specifics of the plants and the balcony dimensions. If you've had them for years they likely won't do well indoors anyway, I've found they tend to become too susceptible to spider mites floating in the air when put into such a dry, warm, foreign environment after repeated years spent outdoors year round. But first things first in order of priority, provide me with a picture to see in my mind's eye or else post photographs of the roses as and where they are right now on the balcony.

Exactly how many is "several" pots of mini roses?

What average size are the plants in height and width above the soil line?

What size is each of the pots they're in - depth and width?

How long ago did you last prune them back severely, if ever?

Have they dropped all of their leaves for winter in preparation for winter dormancy or do they customarily keep most of their leaves evergreen through winter in your climate?

What is your growing zone?

Does any part of the balcony get exposure to direct sunlight at any time of the day?

Assuming there is a railing or privacy fence around the balcony, how high is the railing/fence?

Is the balcony covered? Does it have 3 walls, 2 walls or just 1 wall (the door to inside the apartment).

What floor are you on - ground level, 2nd or 3rd storey or higher?

Is there an electrical outlet outside on the balcony wall?

What are the exact dimensions of the balcony floor space - width and length?

Old 11-21-2022, 05:20 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
You can wrap the pots in bubble wrap and set them on a piece of styrofoam. Also mulch the soil a couple of inches.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:24 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Perhaps nestle the pots in a bale of straw?

Old 11-21-2022, 05:40 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
If your balcony faces southwest the afternoon sun will warm the side of the building and reradiate some of that heat somewhat at night so keeping the pots close to the living room wall helps.

However, wind is cooling so being out of the wind is best.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We have gotten down as low as 10F and my potted mini rose has done fine, it's blooming now despite being as low as 27F in the last week. It sits on a concrete patio, out in the middle. I have some other plants that are less hardy like Geraniums on the front porch, and those come in when below 30. I just lay down a plastic tarp in the entry so not too far to move them.

You might be able to do the same, bring them in from the balcony when it's expected to go below about 25F. If it doesn't get that cold there, I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't give you USDA Hardiness zone, ours is 8b.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:42 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
One nice thing about plants that are potted, is that they can be moved around, with the help of casters. Move them into the sun? Easy. Move into the shade? Easy.
A warmer OR colder area? Easy. A wetter or dryer area? You betcha. Just roll ‘em where ever you want them.

Since this is a thread, focused on minimizing cold exposure, some houses have heater vents that blow warm air outside. It seems to me that this could reduce cold exposure damage to some plants.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
question-
I have an Aloe Vera plant which has grown HUGE outdoor in a large flower pot,it cant come indoor,so what should I do?
Can I cover it with clear plastic film?
itwould be difficult to move it,may be the garage?

Old 11-21-2022, 12:21 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
There are ready-made plastic covered frames to protect plants, mini-greenhouses in other words. They come in all sizes on Amazon.

Also putting styrofoam block under the bottom of the pot will keep the roots from freezing because the root zone allows the plant to come back in the spring.

Someone living in very cold climate or on shady side of building might consider a stronger greenhouse, maybe clear acrylic or even glass.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
question-
I have an Aloe Vera plant which has grown HUGE outdoor in a large flower pot,it cant come indoor,so what should I do?
Can I cover it with clear plastic film?
itwould be difficult to move it,may be the garage?
How cold does it get in the garage? It would be an improvement, but they cannot tolerate 25ºF or -4ºC for more than an hour or two. If you have the furnace in the garage, bring it in and put it near the furnace where it might get a bit of "second hand" heat. If it has to stay outside, put an empty carboard box upside-down over it, then a blanket over that and a couple of rocks or bricks on that at night. Remove once it warms up during the day so it gets light and air. If it stays below 25 all day leave it covered but uncover as soon as you can, within at least 3-4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden