U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2022, 07:00 AM

1,225 posts, read 583,298 times

Advertisements

I have two classes of lilies: Regal and Oriental. What fertilizer do I use, when, and how often?
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 PM

13,577 posts, read 12,375,549 times
They don't need a lot of fertilizing. With mine each year I loosely scatter a thin layer of compost in early spring before the tips emerge from the ground and water it in well, that's all I do until winter approaches (aside from normal maintenance). My compost mainly consists of rotted organic leafy and grass trimmings material, some garden soil and some crumbled up well rotted horse manure all well mixed together.

In late autumn/early winter before any snow or deep freezes start I put down a thin mulch layer of some dry leafy material right on top of the dead, dry lily leaves that have just expired. That acts as insulation for the bulbs and by next spring time the leafy mulch and dead lily leaves have been broken down into humous and been pulled down into the ground by earthworms. The worms do most of my work for me.

If you don't have access to rotted horse manure you could apply a highly diluted fish emulsion to the ground in the spring. Fish emulsion is an excellent fertilizer that can be stretched to go a long way. You can get a small bottle of that at a garden supply store or nursery. But for lilies take note that it MUST be much more highly diluted with water than the instructions given on the product package will say is needed for other plants because lilies don't like as much nitrogen as what is in fish emulsion. Too much nitrogen can kill them. So for example if the fish emulsion package instructions say to add just 1/2 ounce (about two tablespoons) of fish emulsion to 1 gallon of water, for lilies it should be 1/2 ounce of fish emulsion to 3 gallons of water, or if in doubt make it 4 gallons of water. And only apply that just the one time each spring.

Here is some information about fish emulsion: https://www.thespruce.com/fish-emuls...%20or%20garden.

Personally as an all purpose fertilizer I really prefer rotted, dried horse manure (horse apples) crumbled up by hand and scattered lightly onto the ground. That stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Here is some comprehensive information about using different kinds of manures for fertilizer, there is also some information there about how to make a manure fertilizer "tea" to give to plants as a foliar feed that gets sprayed directly onto the leaves of plants.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/blogs...om/poop-manure

Old 12-05-2022, 06:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 583,298 times
I buy cow manure from Home Depot. Will use it in spring.
Thank you for your recommendations.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:57 PM

13,577 posts, read 12,375,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I buy cow manure from Home Depot. Will use it in spring.
Thank you for your recommendations.
Sounds good. You're welcome, and good luck with your lovely lilies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden