Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times

Advertisements

I have a kWh meter that I can use to measure the draw of any particular appliance or light. The LED grow light I am using if on for 12 hours calculates to $0.68/day at the current rate that I pay for electricity. I had mine on a cheap little mechanical timer set to be on 8am-8pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 02:24 PM

12,971 posts, read 7,335,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a kWh meter that I can use to measure the draw of any particular appliance or light. The LED grow light I am using if on for 12 hours calculates to $0.68/day at the current rate that I pay for electricity. I had mine on a cheap little mechanical timer set to be on 8am-8pm.
What?n$0.68/12hrs?
Well today, my watches are going outside recharge under the sun
YLMV

Old 12-20-2022, 12:53 PM

32,761 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Just bought one. Currently -38% discount to $20.39. Get it tomorrow.
We are baby sitting his house plants while he is in Phuket.
I also need to charge my collection of Citizen Eco-Drive watches.
JMO, it's going to be long, dark, & cold winter in the PNW & Seattle areas.

Discount is very limited. Ending today, 11pm PT.
Thanks for heads up.
YLMV
I didn't notice that. I just ordered it.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:50 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,622,336 times
Yes you can use just plain old led lights instead of those extremely overpriced specialty lights/fixtures.

I owned/run a commercial greenhouse and we started all our own plants.

The main things to consider is how much light you really need. For the most part you will need 10 to 20 watts of light per square foot. If they get a lot of direct sunlight from a window you can get buy with 10 but you will need 20 for when the plants get bigger.

Length of time the lights are on will depend on the stage of growth. For the most part I recommend 14 hours a day.

Seriously just plain led bulb you can buy at most stores. Now depending on growth stage and type of produce what bulbs you will need.

For the growing stage or for leafy greens use the Daylight bulbs in the 6,500K range. For vegetables you will need to switch out half the bulbs to Warm White bulbs in the 2,100K range.

I also had great luck with CFL bulbs but needed a little more watts per square foot for the same results.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
thank you for this info.....I'll be starting seeds inside too this spring.

I bought something similar to this (below) at a local place...was not this much $$ and only has 4 lights IIRC but I thought I could string it over a table or shelf to get things going. If anyone has used these, comments would be appreciated. I may get one of your recommended lights and compare.

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-LED-S...s%2C136&sr=1-4
The only problem with the ones in your link is that you need to use the wattage listed on the bulb to figure watts per sq. ft.. The comparison of a LED to an incandescent bulb is just plain silly and has nothing to do with growing. If using that "same as" number you will be using way less light than actually needed.

Other than that they are an awesome product. Because most LED lights shine down you don't need reflectors.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:43 PM

9,188 posts, read 4,978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I did an experiment, by accident last spring. I bought the LED grow light below, and used it to help start seeds indoors for my vegetable garden. Unfortunately I couldn't fit all of them on the same table, so I put another 6 plants under a fixture with two 60 watt equivalent regular LED bulbs. The difference was amazing, even within the first 4 weeks, so I started to rotate them. The grow light has different colors that promote better growth, and keep them from getting leggy. Next spring I'll get a second one.

https://www.amazon.com/LBW-Spectrum-...139468&sr=8-22
Appreciate this info. I've looked at this light online and it's on my wish list. My neighbor, who has an amazing garden, uses grow lights on a shelving unit from Gardener's Supply to get her seeds started in the spring, but jeez, it's almost $600!!! I need to start my seeds inside but don't know if I should spend that kind of money.
I have a string of 4 LED 'grow lights' from Miracle Grow that I will also use but I know I need more.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Appreciate this info. I've looked at this light online and it's on my wish list. My neighbor, who has an amazing garden, uses grow lights on a shelving unit from Gardener's Supply to get her seeds started in the spring, but jeez, it's almost $600!!! I need to start my seeds inside but don't know if I should spend that kind of money.
I have a string of 4 LED 'grow lights' from Miracle Grow that I will also use but I know I need more.
It is a cool unit. Problem is their complete BS comparison of their 30 watts being the same as a 150 watt HPS bulb. That is a lie. In the real world it is equal to a 40 watt HPS bulb. That means it will ad enough extra light for 2 sq ft or one normal tray of seeds in a sunny location.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,257,014 times
Easy to make a grow light. Take a 70 watt HPS security light from Home DePOT, strip the socket out of its casing along with the ballast and capacitor. Then wire a plug to it and mount it wherever.
Perfect for small area grows.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:13 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,568,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Yes, plants will grow under normal LED lights. Grow lights aren't special – they're just strong. Bright light causes plants to grow, whether they're marketed as grow lights or not. They do need to be close to them though – the closer the better (without them burning)."
Lights this "strong" are going to require A LOT of electricity. That needs to be generated and transported, at a voltage loss. Instead of contributing to "climate change," how about you grow your dope outside? It's been proven to actually work.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:06 AM

9,188 posts, read 4,978,087 times
So I went into another favorite place - a 'hardware' store that has everything under the sun, including clothing! - and spoke to one of the women about the growlights they carry.
https://horticulturelightinggroup.co...BoCyeQQAvD_BwE

I could purchase two of the smaller or one larger unit the size of the two smaller ones for about $200 and install it on the bottom of a shelf I have about the basement counter and grow my seeds there. Leaning heavily towards this option as I don't want to spend that $600.
Thought I'd share.

PS I'm not growing pot, which some of these lights are used for. I want to start seeds inside to plant in my raised bed this spring (May). Just thought I'd clarfiy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden