Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,803 times

Advertisements

I live in Atlanta, had emerald green zoysia sod installed 9 weeks ago. As you can see from the pics there's a good amount of weed growth coming through. Looks like some type of clover mostly.

Is it safe to apply a weed control now or do I need to wait longer for the sod to become more established?

Also, based on the types of weeds you see what type of product is recommended that won't harm the Zoysia?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Safe to use weed control on zoysia sod installed 2 months ago?-screenshot_20221222_122847_gallery.jpg   Safe to use weed control on zoysia sod installed 2 months ago?-20221222_140346.jpg   Safe to use weed control on zoysia sod installed 2 months ago?-20221222_140007.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 03:50 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Newly sxodded grass no matter what kind needs to be well established before using any weed product. Usually at least one season to get the roots established.
Here's a good web site for further in formation...
When can I apply weed control products to my new sod?
Newly installed sod is vulnerable to external stressors until it has had time to properly establish. This can include weather, drought, disease outbreaks, insect infestations, fertilizer burns and weeds.
https://sodsolutions.com/weed-contro...0have%20passed.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:33 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
The link above says wait 2-weeks before mowing, and then wait 3-4 cuts before using post-emergent weed-specific chems.

So, if you cut 1x/wk, that would be 6 weeks at the most to wait...& you are at 9 weeks.

I'd say you are okay to use a weed-specific product, like "Image", that kills Dollar Spot which is what I'm seeing in the pic you posted. Image is found at Home Depot or Lowe's. It kills hard to kill weeds like Nutsedge & Dollar Spot. The plastic bottle will say what types of grass it can be used for, & I read it today, & every type grass I can think of was listed.

Be carefull to read the instructions for use. You have to dilute the Image product a lot to kill the Dollar spot, but not harm your lawn. I did this today on my established lawn ( I have Dollar Spot down in FLA right now) , & I diluted it 2.5 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water....read the peel,back label to be sure I have it right.

It takes a while for the Dollar Spot leafs to start turning Yellow....maybe 2 weeks, so be patient with it. By 4 weeks it should be gone....but it will come back each year, so its a never-ending battle...at least it is for me down here....I have St. Augustine.

I had Bermuda in Atlanta, & using pre-emergent in the early Spring and in early Fall stops 98% of weeds from growing at all. That is the way to go. If you dont have kids or pets on the lawn, use a commercial grade pre-emergent. Go to the places landscapers go. The lawn chems you buy at Home Depot and Lowe's are somewhat ineffective at the recommended doses, because they don't want lawsuits for sickening Pets, or kids that might roll around in the grass. Thus, they water the active ingredients down a lot.

Don't forget to treat for grubs that eat the roots, & for fungus. Both these can wipe out Zoysia quickly. If I had Zoysia, I'd hire a pro chem company that doesnt require a contract...local company, not National like Scotts...they big Nationals will require a contract, they'll pull your credit report, & nail you if you try to fire them. I've been through that. Ask neighbors who have nice Zoysia lawns who they use for Chems, and hopefully, you'll find one that uses a local small biz that wont requir a contract.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfisher3043 View Post
I live in Atlanta, had emerald green zoysia sod installed 9 weeks ago. As you can see from the pics there's a good amount of weed growth coming through. Looks like some type of clover mostly.

Is it safe to apply a weed control now or do I need to wait longer for the sod to become more established?

Also, based on the types of weeds you see what type of product is recommended that won't harm the Zoysia?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Matt
You zoysia should be dormant by now. If it's not, it will be tomorrow with the cold front coming tonight.

I had my yard sodded with Zorro Zoysia some years ago, and I can't remember how long I had to wait. I use a lawn service that specializes in zoysia and he does a really good job. I had mine done in the spring though, which is a different situation that you have.

Those weeds look to me like wild violets, also called ground ivy and Creeping Charlie. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 Pretty had to get rid of. You might want to call a lawn service that knows what they're doing since I'm sure you paid small fortune to get the sod installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden