Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2023, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 24,257 times

Advertisements

I've got about a 150 sq ft area between my house and garage that gets very little sun. It's always supported some type of smattering of grass and little broad leaf things that pop up and fill in during the summer. This past year I've really worked the topsoil over in that area and just about all the life forms have been turned under. I'd like to get it greened up again but I figure I had better ask some professionals about what kind of grass seed and possibly broad leaf plant seeds I should start out with, considering the low light considerations.

What kind of grass might grow well in this little patch of land? I'm in Lexington, Ky, btw.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 07:31 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
I found this video that seems to do a good job of explains how to get grass to grow in the shade. There's a few factors to consider, not just the kind of seed you use. For instance, if you have big trees like oaks or walnut, the ground might be too acidic, and you'd want to put some lime down. Well, here's the video. Maybe it'll be helpful for you.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Old 01-10-2023, 07:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Grass doesn't grow in the shade. Have you ever seen an African Savannah, or a midwestern prairie? That's where grass derives from.

Yes, with unusual superhuman efforts you can raise a sickly disease ridden crop of thin puny grass in a shady area, but why? Select plants that can actually thrive in the shady area.

Videos of "how to get grass to grow, kind of, in the shade, with enormous effort" do not obviate the 300 million years of evolution of grass species.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
I've got about a 150 sq ft area between my house and garage that gets very little sun.
I have several of these - around my 3 ginormous oaks mostly.
I'm very close to buying those 'carpets' of seeded underlay (used in parks & construction here).
Maybe that'll work.

Quote:
What kind of grass might grow well in this little patch of land? I'm in Lexington, Ky, btw.
K31 of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden