Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 05:47 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm doing a test with the soil I made. 4 Parts Peat Moss, 1 Part vermiculite. We'll see how it compares to the Jiffy seed starting soil
Quote:
Well…. Obvious results already...

The 4 O'Clocks emerged in just 4-5 days with the Jiffy seed starting mix and only 2 from the starting mix I made. Apparently I may need to adjust my soil mix. We'll see how it does as we go forward.
Quote:
More 4 OClocks emerged with my soil mix but notice the growth difference with the Jiffy seed starting mix.
I transplanted the 4Oclocks into cups and when I pulled them out of the seed starting cells it was obvious my soil mix was missing something.

Nice root ball with the Jiffy Seed Starting soil vs VERY loose and VERY little roots with mine

THIS IS WHY I TEST THINGS and don't just listen to people on the internet. I saw the soil mix ratios I used on YouTube. That's ok though, I like these challenges and learning new things. Keeps things interesting.

24 4 O Clocks transferred. The 7 on the right are from my soil mixture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 08:31 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Wow, what a huge difference! And THANK YOU for giving us so much detail on your garden stuff -- it is very helpful for those of us who keep saying (year after year after year ) that SOON we will be starting our OWN garden!

Old 03-23-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Wow, what a huge difference! And THANK YOU for giving us so much detail on your garden stuff -- it is very helpful for those of us who keep saying (year after year after year ) that SOON we will be starting our OWN garden!
No problem.. Hope you start one soon. What is holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Some people recommend adding lime and perlite to the peat moss/vermiculite.
The guy I got the idea from on YouTube didn't, but according to Jiffy... looks like you are right!

THANKS!

"Specially formulated" is just a catchy sales pitch. I didn't add Lime in mine though and the Peat may have been too acidic for the seeds. Makes sense.

https://ferrymorse.com/products/jiff...iffy-mix-10-qt

How can I resist that price for a 50 Quart????????

Old 03-23-2023, 10:58 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
No problem.. Hope you start one soon. What is holding you back?
Well, even though I am technically retired now (ha!), through mid-December (as in, 3 months ago), I was still working more than full time (this past fall I taught a double overload and barely had time to breathe!). So last year was insane. This semester my teaching load went WAY down (by choice) so I actually have TIME to think about gardening again (and in the fall it will be the same or an even smaller load, just 1 class). I think this year's gardening project will be to get my front yard heuchera bed back in shape (I LOVE heucheras ) -- it got out of control with weird things growing in it last year and I just had no time to deal with it.

I did get a bit demoralized when the workers who re-did my sewer line in 2020 basically destroyed my OTHER front yard flower/plant bed, including throwing out all the pavers I'd surrounded the large bed with (I had no idea they were going to have to tear up that area of my front lawn or I would have collected all the pavers in advance!). But I do have a big back yard (my lot is 1.29 acres and probably 60% of that is my back yard, with a perimeter of tall trees all around) so I do have plenty of room to plan some veggie beds back there -- it's a Southern exposure and I get full sun for many hours a day (well, when we HAVE sunny days here in New Hampshire, LOL!). I will likely go back through all your threads again and take notes!

Quote:
How can I resist that price for a 50 Quart????????
Is that Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere else? That looks like a great price! I wonder if it would help the heucheras too?

Old 03-23-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, even though I am technically retired now (ha!)

Is that Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere else? That looks like a great price! I wonder if it would help the heucheras too?

Costco. Congrats on retirement! My Dad was a Professor of Economics and Political Science at a College. His biggest appreciation about retirement was that he didn't have to commute anymore.

Old 04-01-2023, 05:23 AM

Quick update today then a fuller weekly update tomorrow

My Decade old seeds update. I only transplanted a couple of them just because I have enough already and was just doing it for a test. The Chinese 5 Color decided to start germinating yesterday.

So 90% germination rate on the 2013 Dr Martin Carrot Red. 25% on the Chinese 5 Color

9 year old Tomato seeds doing well.

Aces from 2014.

Farmstead from 2014.

I was taking a picture and didn't realize something. See it??

How about now? Neighbors cat.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:40 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
What are you planning for the squirrels this season?

Old 04-02-2023, 10:43 AM

Weekly Update: April 2, 2023

4.83" of rain past 4 weeks but nothing is outside yet. Things are starting to bud though.

Back inside... It's always a nail biter when you chop off the top of a young plant/seedling. But incredible what you see afterwards.. See where I cut the stem off? Look at the new growth on both sides of it now. It will be bushier.

Note I didn't chop off the top on the one on the right.

Tomato seedlings from this....

To this. I should just start them in cups instead of dealing with the transfer

Varieties include:

Aces (8)
Praxxus Cherry (7)
Delicious Treat (5)
Steak Sandwich (3)
Homestead (3)
Cherokee Purple (3)
Farmstand (3)
Hamson (2)

Brussel Sprouts

Hot peppers still small. Still got 6 weeks before they can go out anyway

1st time I grew Dahlias last year and I brought the tubers inside for winter. Still learning how to care for them.

So far growing I got

34 Tomatoes
34 Hot Peppers
24 4 OClocks
11 Brussel Sprouts
1 Eggplant
1 Bell Pepper

Not sure what happened with the Eggplant and Bell Peppers this year.

Old 04-09-2023, 05:10 AM

April 9, 2023 Update: My time flys by

1st time doing Sweet Potatoes. Any advice would be welcome

I raised the lights an inch or so..

I have a wire attached to the fixtures and just adjust higher/lower.

Brussel Sprouts. I think I'll transplant them this week actually

Tomatoes doing well

4 OClocks doing awesome

Peppers doing great

While some Magnolias & Maples are budding, This is how it looks overall. 30°F this morning

Still lighting the fire for heat inside

Old 04-09-2023, 05:13 AM

1 week difference with the Brussels.

April 2nd on top, April 8th on bottom

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden