Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 01:38 PM

840 posts, read 773,289 times

Advertisements

Someone pulled our 50 lb bag of it outside of the garage,
& it got left out of sight there through who knows how many rains!

The paper bag is falling off, & its contents are Very Damp!

I don't know how to dry it back into a powder from this wet mass,
& believe it's just going to end up a big rock if left 'as is'. . . .

Or does it soften again after drying when it gets wet again . . . ?

Does anyone have any suggestions what I might be able to do with it,
besides just letting it become a grey absorbent rock?

Thank You for any helpful suggestions I receive!

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 02-02-2023 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Too wide of spaces . . . I shrunk them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 01:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
It's not like concrete, it isn't going to turn into a rock. If it's left outside in the bag in the rain it's going to turn into a deteriorating bag of mud. Shift it onto a tarp or sheet of plastic or get it into a sturdy plastic garbage bag before it all falls apart and spreads out like a puddle of oozing mud and makes a nasty mess.

It can still be used even though it got wet. You might want to dry it out. Or not.

This website gives advice on how to apply both dry and wet DE.

https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Diatom...n%20the%20wind.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:53 AM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not like concrete, it isn't going to turn into a rock. If it's left outside in the bag in the rain it's going to turn into a deteriorating bag of mud. Shift it onto a tarp or sheet of plastic or get it into a sturdy plastic garbage bag before it all falls apart and spreads out like a puddle of oozing mud and makes a nasty mess.

It can still be used even though it got wet. You might want to dry it out. Or not.

This website gives advice on how to apply both dry and wet DE.
https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Diatom...n%20the%20wind. .

THANK YOU!
I never thought to look for info regarding spreading it wet.

It'll dry better in a corrugated box,
so I may put some plastic on the bottom first then put it on that in a box.
(It seems to just be very moist rather than totally wet or runny now.)

We have a few very low humidity days before more rain might fall,
so the next hurdle will be figuring out the best way to lift it off the ground,
hopefully intact! LOL

Old 02-03-2023, 02:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
THANK YOU!
I never thought to look for info regarding spreading it wet.

It'll dry better in a corrugated box,
so I may put some plastic on the bottom first then put it on that in a box.
(It seems to just be very moist rather than totally wet or runny now.)

We have a few very low humidity days before more rain might fall,
so the next hurdle will be figuring out the best way to lift it off the ground,
hopefully intact! LOL
Don't try to lift it if the bag it's in is deteriorating. If you can put a tarp or really sturdy sheet of plastic very close to it on the ground and gently roll it over onto the plastic it will be easier to use the plastic/tarp to shift it or drag it on the tarp away from the wet ground. Or line a good sized box with plastic, put the box on its side on a tarp with the box edge tucked as close under the bag as possible and then roll the bag all the way into the box before tipping the box right side up on the tarp. Then use the tarp to drag the box to a dry, sheltered place. No lifting!

Think of it as plotting and planning for moving a heavy dead-weight body away without lifting it, like in a mystery movie on TV.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-03-2023 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 07:49 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Late to the party here, but--

If you need 50 lb all at once, maybe you oughta consider selling your house and moving...or...

Just scoop, shovel, chip off a hunk as you need it. Put that aliquot on a cooky sheet, sheet of cardboard, etc and leave it in the sun for a day or two to dehydrate, then crumble the residue into useable dust.

If the big bag went un-noticed for so long, it must be out of your way, so real need to move it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden