Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times

Advertisements

I live on a hill (zone 6) that gets sun for the majority of the afternoon. The soil is VERY dry and rocky- difficult to dig through and plant anything. Water runs right down the hill leaving the plants quite thirsty. I have tried to grow a wide variety of trees and only one single Poplar has stuck it out. I would love to grow a hedge row or line of trees along my property line as a natural fence between my neighbors yard and mine... I currently have a line of Willows (hedge) along the back of the yard that are aprox 20ft high and a great fence and I would love something that provides as much privacy but would prefer it to be a little prettier than the willows... what would YOU plant in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM

Anyone have any ideas? I am in need of some advice... hoping to get started this weekend.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
I live in NYC (zone 6/5), and here are a list of some street trees the city uses b/c they are really tough and will grow anywhere. Google them and see if you like any.

Gledistia tricanthus inermis (Honey Locust)
Zelkovia serrata (Japanese Zelkovia)
Ulmus parviflora (Chinese Elm)
Tillia tomentosa (Silver Linden)
Ginkgo biloba (Ginkgo) make sure to get a non fruiting one
Syringa reticulata (Japanese Lilac Tree) smaller tree

If I think of any more I will list them.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM

77 posts, read 246,221 times
Default native plants nursery is your best bet

You may want to google your area for native plant nurseries. They are invaluable sources of information. Obviously, they'd like for you to buy from them, but they can also help educate you about approriate plant choices. And, living in what sounds like a dry climate, you do want plants suited to the environment to avoid wasted time/energy watering. I've done it here in my area (horrible clay), and the garden is more beautiful each year.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
you should check with a local nursery. many offer landscape designs at no cost, or a low cost. they would provide you with the proper trees for your area. plus, you might be able to get specimens that are a little larger than you can plant on your own. It would probably save you time and money in the long run. nothing worse than going through all of the effort of digging, planting etc. and having something die off!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ania View Post
You may want to google your area for native plant nurseries. They are invaluable sources of information. Obviously, they'd like for you to buy from them, but they can also help educate you about approriate plant choices. And, living in what sounds like a dry climate, you do want plants suited to the environment to avoid wasted time/energy watering. I've done it here in my area (horrible clay), and the garden is more beautiful each year.

I don't live in a dry climate- it is very humid here. My problem is that the hill I live on is very rocky and the rain water runs right down the hill- not giving the ground a proper watering until the bottom of the hill and I have many trees thriving down there. I have spoken to one nursery about my problem (not for them to actually do the work- but my own two hands) and they have often suggested poplars, willows, Rose of Sharon... rather hardy plants. My problem is the drainage issue- that and I have enough of the three trees above and would love a bit of variety with the speed of growth the others provide. It is just a bit frustrating when you try to baby these trees and they end up biting the dust and I am forced to dig them out again...

Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 AM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
How about Smoke Bush/Tree ? Mine is very happy and they range from Z4 and up. I have heard they do VERY well in Z5&6. It's planted in rocky soil and has doubled in size from the time I planted it last year. It has one of the most romantic, misty looks when it's in bloom. They also like it a little drier!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I don't live in a dry climate- it is very humid here. My problem is that the hill I live on is very rocky and the rain water runs right down the hill- not giving the ground a proper watering until the bottom of the hill and I have many trees thriving down there. I have spoken to one nursery about my problem (not for them to actually do the work- but my own two hands) and they have often suggested poplars, willows, Rose of Sharon... rather hardy plants. My problem is the drainage issue- that and I have enough of the three trees above and would love a bit of variety with the speed of growth the others provide. It is just a bit frustrating when you try to baby these trees and they end up biting the dust and I am forced to dig them out again...
First of all , I have ZERO clue as to what your property and area looks like as well as weather conditions , ETC.

1) Try looking for good looking Native trees for your area in the sourrounding countryside. See what does well under the same or at least closest conditions. My blind guess here would be a few species of Pine or Oak. Another tough try back there is Black Locast.

2) What ever you plant on that type of soil , make sure you innoculate them with Mycorrhizae to ensure the roots have above adequate root water and nutrient absorbtion. Take a look at my post here for further details on that biology. It's a must that you innoculate , especially if you want to give them any kind of chance for success.
//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ml#post3897770

3) What ever you decide , put generous portions of MULCH around all the trees and beyond to ensure the water , rain , etc percolates alot slower. Again I have no idea what the soil structure you are dealing with. Perhaps it is broken rock , which would be okay , but an actual slab of bedrock would be a problem. The only other extreme thing to help the percolation is something I have seen builders use out west when the ground does'nt pass the Perk test for Septic Field testing and permitting. There are companies that can drill holes and put small amounts of explosive in the ground and fracture it. This is not like dynamite for which to blow thing up , but rather only fracturing the sub-surface for better water percolation.

4) Another last resort is to drive around your area and see what is working for your nieghbors under similiar circumstances. Of course this may be a bit of an expense now days.

I definitely would not plant Poplar , however, if you have one the is still surviving , then you are lucky. Such trees in the Poplus family do great when they are younger , but as they get older their water requirements are much greater. Then when stressed , they attract the bark beetles and such like.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM

I definitely would not plant Poplar , however, if you have one the is still surviving , then you are lucky. Such trees in the Poplus family do great when they are younger , but as they get older their water requirements are much greater. Then when stressed , they attract the bark beetles and such like.

Well that isn't something I look forward to... dag-nabit...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
How about Smoke Bush/Tree ? Mine is very happy and they range from Z4 and up. I have heard they do VERY well in Z5&6. It's planted in rocky soil and has doubled in size from the time I planted it last year. It has one of the most romantic, misty looks when it's in bloom. They also like it a little drier!
I have seen them and they are quite nice... maybe I will try that... especially since it works in rocky soil- and if it is fast growing that is even better! THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden