Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 10:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

How do I get rid of patches in the grass that's not growing any grass.? It's just brown dead grass or dirt. I have tried to loosen the dirt up and put down some grass sends, but it refuse to grove. This is our second spring owning our house and we are not very experienced with gardening so if any of you have some good tips I would appreciate it.
We live in Southeastern Wisconsin.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 11:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
The main thing is to keep the soil continuously moist. You’ll need to water several times per day. A light cover of steer manure or similar will help.

Also, if you have lots of birds around they might be eating the seeds. If this is a problem, a deterrent such as netting will help.

Old 04-30-2023, 11:53 PM

165 posts, read 146,530 times
You should be able to find some of that lawn patch mulch stuff that is sold at all the big box home improvement stores. I'd try to remove so much of the dead stuff as you can by raking, I suspect a dethatcher rake would be good if you have one. But yes, you have to keep that mulch damp once you put it down. I think the grass seeds are supposed to sprout in 10-14 days or whatever it says on the bag.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:03 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,212,297 times
I put some of the Lawn Soil https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Turf...oil/5013904487 on an area that would not grow much. In no time I had grass growing through it. I also watered it daily. I also have used the lawn patch mulch stuff https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-3-75...-Mix/999990030 with good results on area that grass would not grow.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:56 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How do I get rid of patches in the grass that's not growing any grass.? It's just brown dead grass or dirt. I have tried to loosen the dirt up and put down some grass sends, but it refuse to grove. This is our second spring owning our house and we are not very experienced with gardening so if any of you have some good tips I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Get the soil analyzed. Just in the areas that won't grow anything. This could give you a clue as to why it won't support growth. The rest is guess work.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:35 PM

Alright , Thanks guys

Old 05-03-2023, 04:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

Thanks

Our old house used to have big, bare patches of dirt where grass would not grow. I ended up amending the soil where the patches were. I got the garden hand fork, dug it up some, then threw in some soil such as miracle grow garden soil, I also used manure and compost. Eventually those bare spots started getting smaller and smaller. I don't recall if I added grass seed or grabbed some plugs of grass from where it grew better.

The spots could probably benefit from worms. The best way to encourage worms is to shred up some newspaper to put where it's bare, then cover it with the soil and compost. You'll be growing grass in no time.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Our old house used to have big, bare patches of dirt where grass would not grow. I ended up amending the soil where the patches were. I got the garden hand fork, dug it up some, then threw in some soil such as miracle grow garden soil, I also used manure and compost. Eventually those bare spots started getting smaller and smaller. I don't recall if I added grass seed or grabbed some plugs of grass from where it grew better.

The spots could probably benefit from worms. The best way to encourage worms is to shred up some newspaper to put where it's bare, then cover it with the soil and compost. You'll be growing grass in no time.
Oh that's great. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
Press the grass seeds into the new soil also. Some landscapers use a roller, you can gently step on them. Keep it damp.

My best result for a dead spot was to clean the spot up, loosen it, mix in good new soil, plenty of (fresh) seeds, pressed into the soil, well watered, sunny spot for the first half of the day. Amazingly I had sprouts the next day.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:36 PM

I was just reading about Core Aerating. I have a very heavy clay compact soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden