Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 22,763 times

Advertisements

Arborists have told me this tree is a hopeless case. It has suffered the scourge of pear rust for years on end and I lost every pear last year to June drop.

But it seems to be making a comeback. I woodchipped around the base. I have scrupulously removed any rust-infected leaves as soon as I see them and the leaves are very clean this year. I removed a Grand Fir that was shading it out. I rented Mason bees. There is plenty of fruit on the tree right now.

My questions:

1. Would thinning the new pears now in May help to reduce June drop? If so, what percent should I thin?

2. How long is rust a danger? Does rust spread from leaf to leaf OR is each rust spot due to airborne fungus from the juniper/cedar host? I live in the Pacific Northwest.

3. How often should I water an established tree that is probably 40+ years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
When a kid in California we had 30 Bartlett pear trees.

1.We never did any thinning, but sometimes had to prop up branches with sticks when the weight bent them over. On a tree recovering from stress some thinning is a good idea, you will get bigger fruit, and I would start by removing those in a bunch, if there are 2-3 that would eventually be hitting each other, reduce to just 1.

2. Pear rust was typically a big problem every 2-3 years, very little the other years. There was no chemical treatment that would allow the fruit to be eaten, so we would remove the leaves and thin branches, and put them in the trash. The airborne fungus spores are also spread by water, so late spring/early summer rain will spread it as well as the wind.

3. Our trees were that age, the house was built on former orchards, and we never watered. That was in a place where we got only 24" of rain annually, and in late August-early September it averaged 105F. Here in Sammamish I never water our two apple trees, and they do fine, but the root area is completely shaded by a nearby fence and another tree.

Soil, and sun exposure, and stress can affect watering needs, and in your case I might water every other week during July and August. If we have a typical year, we will get more rain in the next few weeks, despite this unusual early summer heat.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:26 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,397,756 times
Are you describing Fire Blight ? This is the most common problem with pear trees, and difficult to manage.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Are you describing Fire Blight ? This is the most common problem with pear trees, and difficult to manage.
Two different problems. Rust rarely kills a tree, but fire blight can destroy an entire orchard as it spreads from tree to tree. When you see that affecting a branch you have to cut it off and get it into the garbage.
One of my neighbors cut down a whole tree (apple) to save his others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden