Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2023, 07:52 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

In my area, we had a very mild winter, perhaps the mildest ever, except for about 3 days near Christmas. During that time, we had a low temperature of +2F, with the coldest high temperature of 11F. Temps remained below freezing for 5 days in a row. Temperatures like that are not unprecedented, and really, used to be the norm each winter, but the very mild weather preceding that occurrence had its effect. That's shorts weather for the upper midwest but not here now. This is Zone 7A/7B, depending on location within the county.

Late fall and early winter were warm enough that plants didn't know whether to try to grow or not. So in many cases, they tried to grow, and suffered when the coldest weather hit. We lost several azaleas (they have a few leaves but not really worth saving), a large corn plant, boxwoods, and many others. My neighbor had a white pine, maybe 80 feet tall, that really is white now since it's dead. Even my zoysia lawn seems to have suffered.

Anybody else in the Eastern US have a similar problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 10:24 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I had two hydrangeas die to the ground, one is about 15 years old, the other over 30.

They're both growing from the roots, although I doubt they'll have any blooms this year.

That was about it.

Old 06-03-2023, 10:43 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I'm in Charlotte NC and a very pretty spring bloomer tree (not redbud that did fine) is dead on one side, unfortunately for us it's the side facing us, looks fine to the neighbor (it's on sideyard property line.) So the freezing air come down that side.

Quite a lot of veggie and flower seedlings I started got knocked out, lettuce, spinach, zinnia had 90% die back. I brought a few larger potted plants inside or in garage so geraniums (overwintered) survived and are putting on a great show right now.

My hydrangea had no harm, next to house on north side, great blooms on now.

We moved here 3 years ago and this year was the coolest (wonderful) spring, usually spring last 2 seconds and then it's full-tilt summer heat.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:46 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
My butterfly bush experienced relatively low dieback, same with the roses. They often die back heavily in my part of southern Ontario.

I had passionflowers in-ground as well, covered with abundant mulch. The hardier Maypop did not survive, but yet, the less hardy Bluecrown passionflower (Hardy to zone 7+, maybe 6+) did.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:36 AM

71 posts, read 65,759 times
From December 2022 freeze in Atlanta, my Hydrangea macrophylla died to ground, Tea Olives defoliated, Gardenias mostly defoliated, Star or Confederate Jasmine defoliated or killed to the ground, and Camellias not looking their best. Surprised my butterfly ginger came back unscathed.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:29 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
My butterfly bush experienced relatively low dieback, same with the roses. They often die back heavily in my part of southern Ontario.

I had passionflowers in-ground as well, covered with abundant mulch. The hardier Maypop did not survive, but yet, the less hardy Bluecrown passionflower (Hardy to zone 7+, maybe 6+) did.
BTW the Maypop actually did survive, it just took it until late June to finally start sprouting out of the ground... I think it's meant to grow (in ground at least) in hotter climates...

Old 07-20-2023, 08:18 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The corn in Pa right now coming to market is pretty hit and miss. I got some in Lancaster and only got it because I was there. Its pretty stunted. We had local corn one county over two weeks ago and while the ears looked better they were not all that sweet.
May was a bad drought month, then the heavens opened up in mid June and its been wet ever since. I thought early corn got stunted and then maybe too much rain watered the taste. Otherwise the corn growing now looks great for later harvest. rain and then hot and humid like corn likes. I don't know about tree fruits but the local beefsteak tomatoes I got were excellent.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:00 PM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
Every year i buy trees, usually about 300. They are normally 1-2 years old. I’m trying to build shelter belts on my farm in North Dakota. -40 for weeks at a time has been killing them around 80-90%.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Every year i buy trees, usually about 300. They are normally 1-2 years old. I’m trying to build shelter belts on my farm in North Dakota. -40 for weeks at a time has been killing them around 80-90%.
What species of trees have you been planting?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden