Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 03:50 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

Cheaper to buy at Asian/Chinese store. Online also since fruit takes a while to ripen and is not wet like apples/ stone fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 08:35 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Better from suckers, but you can try the seeds.
Here is explained how:

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/minor-fr...gating-jujubes

https://growingfruit.org/t/growing-j...m-seed/13059/3

Just remember - jujube has extremely invasive root system with suckers looking for water that can extend 30' from the tree. Very damaging to house foundation, sprinkles and pipes. HOA won't approve it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/14...d-strong-is-it
Thanks for the links. I live in the high desert of New Mexico. I have an old Jujubee tree that was planted in the 90's and has never been watered. It is more than 30 feet from the house but right next to the back wall. I suspect if it invades someplace it will be the neighbor, though her house is more than 30 feet from the wall.

The year and a half that I was living in Texas a bunch of the seeds sprouted and I now have a forest of them in one corner of my yard. I plan on moving them around the fence that some people like to climb over to get in my yard because they have good long spines on them.

As for the fruit, I like the taste of it and want to make jam but the seeds are problematic.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:05 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I think you misunderstood my question. I have lots of jujubee trees and I don't want to waste the fruit but I am having trouble finding an easy way to remove the seeds (they are pits like dates have).

I know all about propogating jujubee trees, I have a forest of them that I will be culling once the leaves fall off this fall.
i always thought that jujube would be a good fruit tree choice for the desert southwest. how do yours do in ABQ?

Old 03-30-2024, 08:57 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i always thought that jujube would be a good fruit tree choice for the desert southwest. how do yours do in ABQ?
They grow like weeds if I don't keep the seeds picked up, hence the forest I have now from being absent for a year and a half. But I like them for several reasons. I don't have to water them except when I move them, the fruit tastes good, and they have spines that are killer if you accidentally get some in you skin. So they make a good fence. I have had hoodlums (not kids, 20 somethings) break the neighbor's wire fence to get into my yard. So in the front because of city ordinances agaiinst high fences 20 feet from the sidewalk I have choya, in the back I have jujubees.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
They grow like weeds if I don't keep the seeds picked up, hence the forest I have now from being absent for a year and a half. But I like them for several reasons. I don't have to water them except when I move them, the fruit tastes good, and they have spines that are killer if you accidentally get some in you skin. So they make a good fence. I have had hoodlums (not kids, 20 somethings) break the neighbor's wire fence to get into my yard. So in the front because of city ordinances agaiinst high fences 20 feet from the sidewalk I have choya, in the back I have jujubees.
the no-watering aspect is very impressive for a fruit tree that's only getting ~9 inches total annual precipitation on average.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:07 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
That's ^^^ because the roots of a jujube tree can extend 12-25' deep. They get the needed moisture deep inside the ground.

Choya is pretty evil as a fence guard.
https://youtu.be/N23Cn7Nvs3Y?si=0yF5r_Dn6esT0jmv

Old 04-01-2024, 03:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
That's ^^^ because the roots of a jujube tree can extend 12-25' deep. They get the needed moisture deep inside the ground.

Good grief! That gave me the heebie jeebies just watching it and nearly had me crying too.

And I thought Himalayan blackberry brambles and Devil's Club were evil, but that Choya really is frightening. That video was hard to watch and had me cringing but it sure gets the message across to stay far, far away from choya.

I think the woman was brave to use herself as a guinea pig to demonstrate how nasty and tenacious that stuff is. She sounded like she was in an agony of pain.

Thanks for posting that video.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:

it's cholla, but pronounced as you spelled it. we had some in the yard when i was a kid. didn't take long to learn to stay away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden