Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sooo. . . . they have it down to the details of the genetic markers that these are all of the same source . . . .

Investigation of Outbreak of Infections Caused by Salmonella Saintpaul | Salmonella CDC

But . . . . the stories are TOTALLY lacking in stating the source, distribution and sellers of these tainted tomatoes are. What is up with that? Have to protect the guilty corporations above all else?
That's because they don't know yet. There's a lot of investigation happening at the moment to try to determine any one source. At the moment it's linked to tomatoes because all the people who got sick have eaten tomatoes, whereas others in the households who didn't get sick have not. So tomatoes are considered a possible culprit. At the moment all that's known for certain are that the strains are genetically the same, indicating this is one outbreak, all likely the same source.

Because tomatoes, like most vegetables in the US, travel a long distance to many different places, it can take awhile to pinpoint this further.

I don't recall how long the E.Coli in Spinach took before it was traced back to one farm, but it was more than a few days or weeks - this outbreak is relatively new. it usually takes a few weeks for it to come to the attention of health authorities, as salmonella is common enough. While it's reportable in most states, it's not til there's a significant increase that a common thread starts to emerge.

Determining the genetic markers is the easiest part of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,509,933 times
I've heard that the people harvesting crops aren't allowed bathroom times, or they go in the fields, and you know there aren't bathrooms there.
You know how business is...any place they can cut costs, they do, and they don't care if you or I get sick.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,526,500 times
How long after one eats tainted tomatoes does one start to feel sick?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
How long after one eats tainted tomatoes does one start to feel sick?

8-48 hours. I'm not sure what the current mean is for this outbreak, but anywhere in that range is typical.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,539,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Determining the genetic markers is the easiest part of it all.
As well as one other easy part . . . . Wal-Mart.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,347,501 times
Quote:
I've heard that the people harvesting crops aren't allowed bathroom times, or they go in the fields, and you know there aren't bathrooms there.
I doubt they could contaminate a whole field. My guess, with both the spinach and the tomato situation, is those farms are using reclaimed waste water for irrigation (treated sewage), and some improperly treated water got through inspection. Far easier to blame the farmer than admit a fault at the government level.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,526,500 times
Good point, hcgcali.

If the outbreak is in 23 states, it is obviously more than just a picker with poor hygiene. Sad to say some people are so quick to jump on the illegals, blah blah, blah.

But obviously, the entire processing has to be examined, including the processing plants, the washing, the water used to irrigate, cross-contamination, etc.

Florida's tomatoes were deemed safe.

Salmonellosis Outbreak in Certain Types of Tomatoes

I will find out by monday if I have salmonella. I have been off work sick since Monday. It ain't pretty.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,094 times
I had pizza last night and forgot all about the tomato issue.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,347,501 times
Oh, wow, Redbird! I hope you are ok!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,825,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I had pizza last night and forgot all about the tomato issue.
Pizza isn't a problem unless you had fresh tomatoes added AFTER it was cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden