Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2024, 07:39 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

My relatives in San Diego are boasting their Pink Jasmines (Jasminum polyanthum) which are blooming profusely at this time of the year (as they do in early spring here in AUS too).

This got me wondering. Suppose you plant a Pink Jasmine in an equatorial climate such as Singapore or Jakarta, where temperatures are 30C/86F nearly everyday of the year. When will that plant bloom there? As it is "used to" blooming in early spring in subtropical/temperate climates. I would assume that will bloom sporadically all year round in tropical climates?

P.S. I was roaming through Singapore and Bali through Google Street View and to my surprise, their Frangipanis happen to bloom all year round, even when some of their leaves are bare. Color me jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 08:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I think it depends on which plant.
I lived in Florida (sub-tropical) and certain plants bloomed at regular times, bougainvillea for example blooms in the late fall through the winter there but doesn't bloom in rainy summer season.

Some plants like hibiscus bloom year round.
There are some trees that bloom at specific times, I remember one was called the "tarpon tree" because it blooms when tarpon are in season (fishing) it's real name is Royal Poinciana and it is flamboyant orange-red color.

Old 04-04-2024, 03:37 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I think it depends on which plant.
I lived in Florida (sub-tropical) and certain plants bloomed at regular times, bougainvillea for example blooms in the late fall through the winter there but doesn't bloom in rainy summer season.

Some plants like hibiscus bloom year round.
There are some trees that bloom at specific times, I remember one was called the "tarpon tree" because it blooms when tarpon are in season (fishing) it's real name is Royal Poinciana and it is flamboyant orange-red color.
I believe Florida becomes tropical as one reaches Miami and surrounds (Orlando is subtropical).

Bougainvilleas here in Sydney (33'S) bloom all year round, although their flowering peaks in early spring.

But I was more thinking about temperate plants such as Pink Jasmines and Confederate jessamines (Trachelospermum jasminoides), which are native to cooler regions in China and Japan, and would flower only in spring (at times to early summer). I wonder, if planted in Singapore or Malaysia (where there are no seasons), when will they exactly bloom - if they ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden