Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Hi all,

I bought a single strawberry plant a few years back and put it in a planter and since then it has spawned 2 more plants in two additional planters. So now I have 3 planters with three strawberry plants but the planners are pretty crowded too deep and it makes it hard to keep pests and whatnot off of the strawberries including rats that sometimes get them. I have been debating building a raised planter bed that will give the strawberries more room and so I can apply some anti pest management like egg shells, coffee grounds, and dematiaceous earth around the plants.

But every time I go to price this out and think about it I think about the cost of building the raised planter bed and the struggle to keep pests out. If I wanna keep the rats out I'm going to have to build some kind of a cage over the planter and it just seems like it doesn't make a lot of sense financially. Strawberries are pretty expensive right now but looking at the costs and the amount of work it seems like it will take me years to recoup my costs and may not be worth the hassle.

It just seems pointless to grow my own, unless I do it simply for enjoyment. Financially, I will probably not recoup the cost and it seems like a ton of work.

curious to see what others think.
Hey there,

It's awesome that you've been able to propagate them and expand your strawberry garden, but dealing with pests can definitely be a challenge.

I totally understand your concerns about the cost and effort involved, especially with the need for additional measures like building a cage to keep out rats.

Ultimately, it comes down to weighing the benefits of growing your own strawberries against the financial and labor costs. If it brings you joy and satisfaction to tend to your garden and enjoy the fruits of your labor, then it might be worth it for that alone. Plus, there's something special about growing your own food, even if it doesn't always make financial sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 04:10 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/imported-...100025915.html

Pesticides: the best reason I can think of to grow your own.
Yup- the dirty dozen. https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/19/healt...iluminar_yahoo

Quote:
Approximately 95% of nonorganic strawberries, leafy greens such as spinach and kale, collard and mustard greens, grapes, peaches and pears tested by the United States government contained detectable levels of pesticides, according to the 2024 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce.

Nectarines, apples, bell and hot peppers, cherries, blueberries and green beans rounded out the list of the 12 most contaminated samples of produce. It’s dubbed the “Dirty Dozen” by the Environmental Working Group, or EWG, an environmental and health advocacy organization that has produced the annual report since 2004.
On that list we grow in our garden-
Strawberries
Spinach
Kale
Collards
Mustard greens
Pears (starting)
Hot peppers
Cherries (last year)
Green Beans

In lieu of blueberries we grow haskaps.

This wasn't by design, but I'm glad it worked out this way, lol.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I have only done some light hobby gardening and it wasn't a money saver for me. But to me the rationale has to be that you enjoy doing it and also appreciate the taste of fully ripened produce from varieties that weren't developed just to be rugged enough for cross-country commercial shipping - backyard produce can taste a lot better than supermarket produce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden