Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times

Advertisements

I love hanging grape vines, or an harbor made with them .. looks so pretty! And nothing nicer than a bunch of grapes hanging from it, just waiting to be picked.

One place I lived, way back when, had a trestle of grape vines growing across the top of a huge window, and I loved it.

Just about the time the grapes were ready for 'harvest' the baby racoons took over and were on the vines day and night! .. so even though the grapes were history, the national geo moments through the glass were quite spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 41,340 times
My biggest problem with my grapes is that the insects ruin them before they are sweet enough to harvest. Not very skilled in the grape catagory - but I do know that they won't produce if you don't really prune them a lot. Also, you can cut off branches in January wrap them with wet paper towels on the end and put them in your fridge until spring. They will root for planting in Spring.

Never prune the main stem that has rough bark on it or it can bleed too much sap. But you do want to prune every year down close to that main trunk.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
If you are having insect problems you will need to spray. There are many types of insects that are a problem for grapes, but the one that most people have an issue with is the Japanese Beetle. By the time they are done with your vine, the leaves will look like lace. Then they know they have a nice home to eat at every year, so they then lay their eggs in the soil and the problem repeats itself every year. You can also end up with a mole problem because they go after the beetle grubs.
There are some great companies that sell natural or safe products to use like Gardens Alive if this is an issue. Don't use the Japanese Beetle traps. All you will end up doing is attracting every Japanese Beetle in the area to your home. A better idea is to have a neighbour a few houses away put the beetle traps up so they all go to his yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden