Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I will say that pee is cheaper though.
Depends on how much beer you've got to drink to achieve the proper amount for deer control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,155 times
haven't you seen The Rookie? just go to the barber shop and sweep up the human hair and sprinkle it around the border.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
OK, I am NOT trying to sell copies of the gardening book for them, but Southern Living Garden Book has a whole section devoted to trees, shrubs, plants and grasses that deer seem to avoid, or are 'deer resistant.'. It would be worth looking into if you live where the deer like to roam.

You might try planting corn for them, if nothing else works -- they'll go to it first, and leave your ornamentals alone. My sister-in-law has good luck with this approach. She just planted a few rows of corn, and left it to its own. NC has actually planted corn in areas frequented by deer, to feed them.

A lot of gardeners I know seem to benefit from getting hair cuttings from the local barbers and salons, and putting it out. Helps with rabbits too as best I understand?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
The deer have eaten almost everything in my yard. Last year I bought two types of sprays and they ate all the buds anyway. I just planted flowers in pots on my deck this year since I lost almost everything in my yard last year.
Are there flowers that they don't eat or some spray that really works!
Oh, I join you on the frustration. They are not suppose to eat hydrangae or graze on covey trees. Not the case in my yard. We have such a presistent & aggressive family (doe & 2 fawns) this summer. They were in our front yard 3 times today. Our hydrangae was BEAUTIFUL & the other morning half the buds were bitten off. What made me angry was that they didn't care for the flower so they spat it out The top part of the covey tree has leaves but they have grazed on the entire bottom part.

I just bought Liquid Fence but it leaked in my trunk. It is some sort of urine that people around my neighborhood swear by.

Depending on the nature of the deer in your area, they may eat anything that is available, to include bark from trees.

I used a pepper spray a few weeks ago that a neighbor lent me. Not sure it did the trick but these sprays need to be used consistently, especially after it rains.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to grow a garden this summer & have deer issues!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 PM

421 posts, read 3,222,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Isn't cayenne pepper a natural product though? An acid type chemical would be cruel, but this is nature vs. nature. I mean, these guys eat cactus!
So what if its natural? Would you want it in your eyes???

I've read that hanging bars of soap next to plants you don't want the deer to eat will deter them.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
So what if its natural? Would you want it in your eyes???

I've read that hanging bars of soap next to plants you don't want the deer to eat will deter them.
I get jalapeno/serrano pepper/fumes in my eyes when I cook all the time...and onion...and garlic....the deer need to get over it like I do!!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,646,927 times
How about plain old Marigolds? I live in upstate Maine and I use Marigolds along the borders of my flower and veggie beds and have not had a problem. Every year I harvest the seed pods after the flowers fade and I end up with an endless supply to replant the following year. I have used them for over 10 years and never had a problem even when neighbors' gardens were being devoured.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
How about plain old Marigolds? I live in upstate Maine and I use Marigolds along the borders of my flower and veggie beds and have not had a problem. Every year I harvest the seed pods after the flowers fade and I end up with an endless supply to replant the following year. I have used them for over 10 years and never had a problem even when neighbors' gardens were being devoured.

I wish that had worked for me. I palnted marigolds on both sides of my pepper plants. They ate the peppers, but did not bother the marigolds.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,493 times
Thumbs up This really works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is purely an old country thing so don't make fun of me .....At night get your husband / son / boyfriend to go outside and urinate every where you don't want the deer. The smell of humans sometimes does the trick.You'll also find out how much your husband loves / tolerates you.

My grandfather used to do this in his garden. At least that's why he said he did it.
I would like to tell you that this really works. I live in the hills of WV and we really have alot of deer, my husband collects urin and takes it out late at night about once a week and spays a area around the flowers and yard. Just make a big sweep all around your yard and graden. dont get it close to any thing just make a bid circle. Belive me it works.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I tell you this really works and my grandma used to do it . Okay every plant you dont want them to eat , hang a bar of deodorant soap from a string onto a limb or branch , the deer will not touch it . remember deodorant soap nothing else will work . good luck and let us know how you fare .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden