Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM

20 posts, read 59,397 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience starting a backyard garden nursery? I have found a few articles on the subject, but would really like to hear from someone who has actually done it. Is the return worth the labor and expense, etc. I was thinking of starting garden bedding plants in early spring and then try to sell them at farmers markets at or below the prices charged by retail and garden centers? I wouldn't have that big a variety, but would focus on common, hearty, and popular plants.

What do you think?

Life Unplugged - Sustainable, Off Grid, Homesteading Resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
You need to go to freeplants.com. That's exactly what the owner of the site does. He propagates tons of shrubs and trees each summer, then sells them out of his driveway. I've learned a lot from reading his site. If there's a plant you want to propagate and he doesn't have it listed, just use google to search it. I'm going to try my hand at it next week. I figure I need about 50 more azaleas, a few wiegela, some euyonomus, and some pink dogwoods. I may try forsythia and crepe myrtle as well.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
On your search engine look up little creek nursery in shoreline wa, then find her hanging baskets blog..I have been there and its small and owned by a lady who runs like the ever ready battery, full speed all the time..She use to be on the Wa thread of the National Home garden club web page...
Good luck

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
You need to go to freeplants.com. That's exactly what the owner of the site does. He propagates tons of shrubs and trees each summer, then sells them out of his driveway. I've learned a lot from reading his site. If there's a plant you want to propagate and he doesn't have it listed, just use google to search it. I'm going to try my hand at it next week. I figure I need about 50 more azaleas, a few wiegela, some euyonomus, and some pink dogwoods. I may try forsythia and crepe myrtle as well.
Aside from any city regulations about selling merchandise out of your driveway (probably okay every once in a while, but maybe not okay every weekend), are there any legal requirements for selling plants?

Meaning, do you need some sort of agricultural license? Any inspections for plant diseases on your property?

This is something I've thought of as well, and have been propagating plants here and there, but I wonder if there are any big legal obstacles when you get to the selling part?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times

Last edited by azoria; 06-09-2008 at 02:16 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
In many States, cities, counties, you'll need a retail license, have the required zoning for a business, and an agriculture inspection periodically.
What will your neighbors say about the commotion of doing business. Some areas allow only a few weekends a year to sell out of your residence. Commercial signage will not be allowed in a residential area.
I would check with your local authorities for the rules and regulations before jumping into something you may regret later on

Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 AM

20 posts, read 59,397 times
Thanks for all of the feedback, the points about business regulation, inspections, an zoning are good points. I was thinking more about growing the plants in my backyard but then selling them at farmers markets or at a roadside stand (if I could find an area to do that). I would definitely want to do it on the up and up; one fine could easily wipe out an entire seasons worth of work I'd bet. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden