Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM

2,183 posts, read 7,971,380 times

Advertisements

We bought our new construction home in August of 06. The builder planted two lovely Myrtles on either side of our front porch. large in size full, lush and blooming in an abundance of light purple flowers. The first Spring we had a deep freeze and the trees suffered. They still filled in lush and green but never bloomed last Summer. We figured it was due to the freeze. This Spring they are full and lush and green. I am driving around NC and seeing the Myrtles in full bloom everywhere. Once again not one bloom on either of my trees. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,027 times
They bloom on this season's growth. Have you seen any new growth?

Too much nitrogen or too little phosphorous in the fertilizer can stunt their blooming as well. They need full sun too.

I have 4 that bloomed really late in the season last year. All the others are blooming in my area already. Mine should finally bloom in late July if last year was any indication.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:15 AM

2,183 posts, read 7,971,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
They bloom on this season's growth. Have you seen any new growth?

Too much nitrogen or too little phosphorous in the fertilizer can stunt their blooming as well. They need full sun too.

I have 4 that bloomed really late in the season last year. All the others are blooming in my area already. Mine should finally bloom in late July if last year was any indication.

SO maybe they will bloom later. We don't fertilize the soil and they are in full sun. They have grown a ton and they are huge and lush and green as can be just no blooms. They have never been pruined back. Do they need to be pruined back to bloom in spring/summer?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,942,399 times
I nipped off the dried-out ends of the branches of my crepe myrtle and, yep, it's blooming like crazy now. I planted it last spring, so this was its first winter. We did have a lot of ice and snow and I didn't cover it or put in a ton of extra mulch -- it did fine, so I don't think the freeze has anything to do with it not blooming.

In the spring, I just clipped off the obviously dead sections on the ends of the branches, down to the obviously green, healthy part, to see what would happen. Not long after, it began to bud, grew lush green leaves and then started to bloom a LOT. I didn't fertilize, either, but I do deep water it once a week if we don't get rain.

It's probably not a good idea to prune it now with the summer heat but do try it next year.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,828,683 times
Most experts do not recommend pruning or deep cutting CM. It's a shame most landscape guys hack them back every winter.

I thin mine out in the winter by getting rid of some undesirable limbs.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most experts do not recommend pruning or deep cutting CM. It's a shame most landscape guys hack them back every winter.

I thin mine out in the winter by getting rid of some undesirable limbs.
Pruning them for dead wood is about the only thing I do as well. However, I had one that was reaching 40' and was very sparse with leaves and flowers. I hacked it back to the ground. I wish I had been a little more careful. I have about 50 shoots now. I keep pulling off the smaller ones, but it looks like that's going to be the case until I die.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
SO maybe they will bloom later. We don't fertilize the soil and they are in full sun. They have grown a ton and they are huge and lush and green as can be just no blooms. They have never been pruined back. Do they need to be pruined back to bloom in spring/summer?
If you don't have any blooms by mid-July, I'd say they need phosphorous. Look for a fertilizer for blooming plants. Nitrogen is good for leaf growth, so keep that low on the mixture if you can.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Another hint: People always plant them to close to a house. They need a little extra room depending on how high / type yours are.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,619,611 times
Are they fast growing? need the fastest growing tree for a sunny location, about30' from the house.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM

Fast trees are usually crummy trees. Many fast growing trees like Bradford Pears only last 8-10 years and have many problems.

Get a good oak or something native to your area that's been grown in a container from a good nursery. Water & fertilizer well and you'll have a nice tree that will add value to your home and last 100's of years.

Spend a little extra money & you'll have a great investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden