Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times

Advertisements

My father has yellow patches... more like STREAKS... in his yard. He has a company come and to do his chem treatments and another come to cut the grass and do his landscaping as he is getting too old to do all this himself. He has recently found thise burnt patches that start out as yellow streaks in the grass and eventually the grass is burnt away leaving lines of dirt. There are several and the companies have no idea what it is and are not taking responsiblity for any of it (of course). It would remind you of an animal urine spot or chemical leak but the lines are very long and seems like it would be a Rhino if it is urine, and the chem company doesn't believe it is a chemical. Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Could be fertilizer burns from heavy streaking when dropping/spreading commercial fertilizers over the lawn. Then if not watered in thoroughly, at least 6 inches into the ground, the concentration of the nitrogen in the fertilizer burns the grass.
Are they fertilizing by hand and throwing the fertilizer out there? That is what your symptoms seem to show.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Could be fertilizer burns from heavy streaking when dropping/spreading commercial fertilizers over the lawn. Then if not watered in thoroughly, at least 6 inches into the ground, the concentration of the nitrogen in the fertilizer burns the grass.
Are they fertilizing by hand and throwing the fertilizer out there? That is what your symptoms seem to show.

I think he has the grass sprayed. The company SWEARS it isn't from the chemicals... we think it is...

Old 06-28-2008, 05:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Sounds like too much chemical has damaged the grass.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:26 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Long lines? Then I would disagree that it is the chemical company. Tru-green and the others are conservative with the amount of chemicals they use, sometimes to the point of doing little more than watering. They also spray in patterns and not lines. The only thing I can think of where they would create lines is if the hoses has residual chemicals on them and are being dragged across the lawn. Pics would help.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Long lines? Then I would disagree that it is the chemical company. Tru-green and the others are conservative with the amount of chemicals they use, sometimes to the point of doing little more than watering. They also spray in patterns and not lines. The only thing I can think of where they would create lines is if the hoses has residual chemicals on them and are being dragged across the lawn. Pics would help.
I was thinking the same thing about the hose...except a new one just showed up and the lawn guys haven't come in the time frame...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Fungus or bugs? Since you have a lawn company, why not ask them what else it could be.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
moles? Any other rodents in your area that dig? I know they rarely stay in straight lines, but maybe this one is OCD?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
Does it appear to be a mowing pattern? If the lawn was mowed soon after it was sprayed, the mower will track the chemical. As one other person suggested, it would be a great help if you could post a picture.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
moles? Any other rodents in your area that dig? I know they rarely stay in straight lines, but maybe this one is OCD?
LOL!

You got me thinking... You've heard of the lines of Nazca and crop circles? Maybe this is an alien mole. If you see a little satellite dish peeking out of the ground, be very worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden