Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I didn't pull up my plants by the root - I just slit open the stem, removed the grubs, and then covered the damaged stem area with buckets of good soil, where it will form new roots. This took almost 3 hours, because I have a lot of plants - dark green zucchini, striped grey, yellow straight neck, and yellow crook neck. So far, it looks promising - the plants were a wilted drooping mess but now have formed lots of new small green leaves that look healthy. My zucchini and yellow straight neck squash were both infected. The grey zucchini and yellow crook necks are okay, so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

My neighbor up the road had beautiful zucchini plants just a day ago, but now they are all flat and dead.
What an AWESOME IDEA! I will try that with my pumpkin!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
^^^^ This is a great idea, I might try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Thanks, Kinky and Happehart. I lost a few, they were beyond hope, but the ones I "operated" on are looking promising and starting to blossom again.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Interesting read. I hope I never get to try that. But if I ever do I will make a report of how it goes.

How did you know you would find grubs, or was it a last ditch effort, and so the slice was cut one step before pulling the plant(s)?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
^^ The vine looks cracked and not dark green as a healthy one. It's really amazing how different it looks. I still can't get myself to hand clean them, makes my stomach turn. I think Mrs. Skeffington should be names the Zucchini Surgeon.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I haven't done it yet...but I wonder if it would work as well at this point just to put a little more dirt on the stem...maybe the grubs have already hatched into adults... But I DID plant some more pumpkin nad winter squash seeds! Thanks to all the rain and hot sun, I noticed this morning they'd sprouted!

Looking forward to pumpkin and stuff for Thanksgiving!

HAPPILY there has been some LUSCIOUS rain in the past couple of weeks. I LOVE summer showers...maybe God is answering my prayers since I can't afford to go to a tropical place yet...I love the wetness and all the green in MD. The reddish light before the thunderstorm a few days ago...was MAGICAL.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
^^ The vine looks cracked and not dark green as a healthy one. It's really amazing how different it looks. I still can't get myself to hand clean them, makes my stomach turn. I think Mrs. Skeffington should be names the Zucchini Surgeon.
Truth be told you could eat them, the grubs i mean. I kill most insects by pinching them, unless there is aa cluster worthy of a can half full of water, or worse I need my wife to help with a plastic bag because of a wild party infestation.

I had a vole too, not sure I said so in this thread, but had is the key word there. I killed it in a home made bucket trap, and also got a field mouse. This type trap is self setting. I removed the 2 kills and just left it baited. The victims never get to the bait. That mouse was offered to the sky birds for my gift of the vole. The vole will be a neck bad some time next week. Serious.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Dusty, not related to the squash particularly, but you posted a week or so ago about using seeds to plant the following year. How do you save the seeds and what all can you do this with? I was thinking my tomatoes and cukes?

Nita
with squash, I break apart one yellow squash, or one zucchini, or when I cut open a cantaloupe, I scoop out the seeds, same with watermelon, or, with watermelon, or any melon, OR, you can just spit out the watermelon seeds onto a flat surface. With squash, I cut them open and spread them out on a cookie sheet and leave it in full sun for a few days, once dry I separate the seeds from the dried flesh. I have done tomatos the same way but, really, it's a lot easier just to buy seeds, or plants, cukes are easier than tomatos (almost everything is), cut them open, spoon out the seeds onto a cookie sheet, and let them dry in the sun, it will take a few days, just keep stirring them every other day and slowly take out everything that is not a seed. A wide board works as well as a cookie sheet, or a partial sheet of plywood. I store all seeds in ziploc bags and magic marker the outside with what type of seeds they are. Once dry, I keep them in the freezer until next spring when I put them in peat pots. OK, an Aside here, my Aloe plant is blossoming again, I dang near killed the thing by putting it in full sun, so, I put it on a north facing front porch where it only gets indirect sunlight. An Aloe will send out a blossom shoot/stem, it will grow at least 4 ft tall, mine has started giving multiple flower buds per stem. It really took me by surprise when it flowered, I didn't know they did that. It has been flowering every summer for the last ten years. Corn is probably the easiest seed to save. My Aloe has lots of babies, I really need to clean it out and give the babies to friends.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 08-03-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
When I first got the Aloe it was about 4 inches tall and about 5 inches in diameter. Now....it is 4ft tall and at least the same diameter, maybe a bit longer, when the flower shoot is full size it is about 5 ft tall.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
with squash, I break apart one yellow squash, or one zucchini, or when I cut open a cantaloupe, I scoop out the seeds, same with watermelon, or, with watermelon, or any melon, OR, you can just spit out the watermelon seeds onto a flat surface. With squash, I cut them open and spread them out on a cookie sheet and leave it in full sun for a few days, once dry I separate the seeds from the dried flesh. I have done tomatos the same way but, really, it's a lot easier just to buy seeds, or plants, cukes are easier than tomatos (almost everything is), cut them open, spoon out the seeds onto a cookie sheet, and let them dry in the sun, it will take a few days, just keep stirring them every other day and slowly take out everything that is not a seed. A wide board works as well as a cookie sheet, or a partial sheet of plywood. I store all seeds in ziploc bags and magic marker the outside with what type of seeds they are. Once dry, I keep them in the freezer until next spring when I put them in peat pots. OK, an Aside here, my Aloe plant is blossoming again, I dang near killed the thing by putting it in full sun, so, I put it on a north facing front porch where it only gets indirect sunlight. An Aloe will send out a blossom shoot/stem, it will grow at least 4 ft tall, mine has started giving multiple flower buds per stem. It really took me by surprise when it flowered, I didn't know they did that. It has been flowering every summer for the last ten years. Corn is probably the easiest seed to save. My Aloe has lots of babies, I really need to clean it out and give the babies to friends.
thanks, I think I will forget the tomatoes but will try the cukes. If they don't work I can always buy seeds later in the year. I do start my sweet potatoes from old potatoes and I am going to do the same with reg pots this year I think. Golly I wish our whole back yard was produce...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden