Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times

Advertisements

Actually you really don't have to do much, the trees grow and shed Pecans every year, if necessary, you can prune them back every hundred years, maybe a little fertilizer, they are truly a low maintenance item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,130 times
Just come accross your post looking for Pecan Farming my self.
I have been taken in by a family that has a pecan orchard, about 40 ac as well. I am trying to learn more about pecans as I have recently learned I'll be the one taking care of everything soon. I just went to a Pecan Simmanar last Wed. They went thru it kinda fast and I didn't catch everything. But I did get some web sites and phone numbers to get more info on the subject. I also talked with a man from Goldthwaite Tx with Pecans.com that gave me his bussniss card n said I could email him with any questions. Said that if he didn't have the info he would find it and email me back. Now I haven't had time to get on line yet and look anything up til now (that's what lead me to your post). Anyhow I will list what info I have @ hand, and if you ended up buying that place and still need more info just ask I will check back here every now n then.

[url=http://www.plantclinic.tanu.edu]Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more[/url]
Plant clinic 979-845-8032
Plant disease diagostic lab 979-862-1218
[url=http://www.awis.com]AWIS.com : Consulting, Data & Forecasts for Ag, Energy, Retail and Industry[/url] (has links that have info, also has pecan weather info for your area)
Pecans.com/au
There is also a website that has laws & regulations for Aggraculture & Pesticides
http://www.arg.state.tx.us/pesticide (broken link) (of course ya trade the tx for your state)
And the man I talked to @ the Millls County Texas Agrilife pecan simminar was:
Randall Leonhard email : [email]randall@pecans.com[/email]
His bussiness sells equitment, and I do belive they have one of the biggest pecan bussinesses in Tx. If anything, maybe you can send pics of what equitment you have and he can tell you what it is lol.
Btw, chances are you already have everything needed right there in that barn.
I also wrote down words to goggle that may give more info then I cuaght durring the simminar.
Pecan disease
Pecan marketing
Pecan management folloing a drought
Pecan IPM

Now I am just learning about all this. But I have been sitting back watching for a while now. There is money it pecans. If you take good care of your trees they will produce yopu an income that most stay @ home moms wouldn't or couldn't dream of having. Most of the work you do is on you time line. As in unlike grapes where you might have to get up bin the middle of the night, the work needed can wait a day or so. So if there is a docs appointment or basketball game you can spray tomorrow as long as weather holds out.
I wish you the best of luck and if I find anything new I post it for ya.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
im in west TN and the property i bought has 1 pecan on my land and 3 on the property line (one of those what falls on your side is yours kind of deals) and aparently they produce lots of delicious nuts...when the squirrels dont stip them bare first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden