Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

This may be a really dumb question but I don't know where to get Compost?

I don't have a compost pile in my yard and I don't know anyone who does. I have looked at the garden centers in big stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes) as well as a couple small nurseries. The only thing I saw with the word compost in it was cow manure. Do I need to just keep looking?

Do I want cow manure??? I am not understanding, because when my mom had a compost pile it was only vegetable material, not animal poo. Then again she also suggested to me that I use sheep manure (which I haven't seen anywhere) for putting down all over my yard where I'm hoping to plant things to prepare it and break it down like compost.

If it's animal waste I'm looking for, won't it stink to high heaven? I "moved" the dogs "business activites" to the backyard for that same reason. LOL. I had declared the front a poop free zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Bagged manure that is for sale does not smell because it has been left to age long enough that the breakdown of the waste material is complete and you're basically left with rich organic material. Is is raw waste that smells so much, due to some of the chemical compounds in it. Once raw waste is "processed" (by bacteria) - those compounds are digested and you are left with a powdery dry rich dark organic material.

Cow manure is a common fertilizer, as is chicken, bat (guano), or I suppose any other animals .. around here they offer to let you come and take the aged manure from the horse stables...

If you are doing yard composting (vegetable scraps, yard clippings, etc..) it is recommended that you not mix any animal waste into it because of dangers disease-bacteria that can exist in raw fecal matter.

I.E. - most homeowners do not have a "poop pile" in the back of their property where the poop can break down for 5 or 6 years. We couldn't live with the smell and the flies!!

If you go to an industrial cattle farm - it already smells!!! They have no problem with tractoring the manure out to the pile and letting it compost. They turn it every few months, and after a while its just crumbly good organic material.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I prefer composted horse manure, which you can get at garden stores. Do not buy the cheapo manure (avoid Wal-mart!); it's filled with weed seeds and all kinds of nasty stuff.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Some municipalities or counties that have debris pick ups also have free or cheap mulch and compost for sale. Bagged leaves and other ruffage refuse make the compost, limbs and woody structures for the mulch.

Check your yellow pages for info on your town..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
In the San Antonio area the best place to get compost in bulk or bag yourself is (my order of preference) Garden-ville, Keller's Materials or Fertile Gardens. The manure based composts are the best and no they won't smell. I put Garden-ville manure compost on my lawn about every three years and apply corn gluten meal in the late fall annually and my lawn usually looks pretty good. It's just now starting to show the effects of the drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden