Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,616 times

Advertisements

So I recently bought a single story ranch and my neighbor that backs up to me lives in a 2 story house. I have a smallish back yard so it feels like all 'eyes' are on me. I am looking for some type of bush to plant that grows tall and will give me some privacy. Something that grows well in the southeast where the weather is hot and humid. Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
So I recently bought a single story ranch and my neighbor that backs up to me lives in a 2 story house. I have a smallish back yard so it feels like all 'eyes' are on me. I am looking for some type of bush to plant that grows tall and will give me some privacy. Something that grows well in the southeast where the weather is hot and humid. Any ideas are appreciated.
Dwarf, Long Needle White Pine

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,760 times
How far south is your southeast? The southeast is a great climate to plant bamboo. It is a great screen and noise barrier and gets very tall - tall enough to provide privacy for your second floor and attic, too. You generally buy it in clumps and once started - will grow like Jack's beanstalk. That would be my top choice. It makes a great backdrop for a water garden or koi pond, too.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,616 times
I live in Va Beach, VA. Isn't bamboo very invasive?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,075 times
Default bamboo

God, please be careful with bamboo....my niece and her roomates planted 2 plants in Savannah and within 1 year it looked like they had a 20 foot privacy fence. the neighbors are still battling with those plants and its been 8 years!!!!!!!!! Bamboo takes over and I mean takes over. Kudzu, another nightmare plant will grow 1 foot a day.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
What about a magnolia tree? I had one of those in the back of a row house I rented that had the same sorta set up. (back to back houses)
It smelled so pretty and are really easy to take care of and trim. Its leaves are dense and you can only see through the lowest branches.
edit:
Trumpet Honeysuckle - Saw that as I was looking for stuff. Brings humming birds and stays green in the south.

It would look soo pretty to see a white magnoia tree with some Trumpet Honeysuckle friends gathered around.

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 07-23-2008 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM

48,119 posts, read 21,997,640 times
The magnolia tree would be very pretty; I don't know how fast they grow....it might take several years+ to get the benefit you desire. Magnolia would also make the yard quite dark...when it is tall enough to provide the privacy. How about crepe myrtle trees along the border? I know that in the south they trim and prune them unmercifully but that isnt necessary. They sure are pretty.

Bamboo.....there are two types one grows in clumps, expanding circles and isnt as invasive or hard to control; t he other like golden bamboo sends out horizontal sucker shoots and will come up thru pavement and is very invasive. Lovely plants though.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Controlling Bamboo is done by digging down 2 or 3 feet around the area where they will be planted. Pick an area the size you want the final stand to be. Place good sheet metal around the perimeter and let it stick above the ground 2".

All this is from memory so if you decide to do this I recommend doing some research to make sure my numbers are correct.

Last four paragraphs:

Bamboo Invading Our Yard

Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
[quote=elston;4571438]The magnolia tree would be very pretty; I don't know how fast they grow....it might take several years+ to get the benefit you desire. Magnolia would also make the yard quite dark...when it is tall enough to provide the privacy. How about crepe myrtle trees along the border? I know that in the south they trim and prune them unmercifully but that isnt necessary. They sure are pretty.
QUOTE]

I guess they are suppose to be fast growing. I know the one we had really grew fast. It did make a lot of shade. But I trimmed it like a lollypop cut and it was leafless I would say, about 5-6 feet up. Branches started at about 4-5 feet. The canopy was about 15 feet high .
I could of easily trimmed out more branches to let light filter through. Its a really easy tree to trim. When I did do the first big trim and cut a bunch back. Flowers EXPLODED from the tree. I was amazed. The higher lollypop cut allowed light to filter into the yard enough for grass to live.

This site here:

Sweetbay Magnolia Tree

Starts at 3-5 feet.

From what I noticed in my tree it grew at least a foot a year.
It may take longer at first because the roots need to get thier hold. (I notice this with trees a lot)

Theres a lot of other neat plants etc on that site too worth looking at.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:55 PM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Bamboo.....there are two types one grows in clumps, expanding circles and isnt as invasive or hard to control; t he other like golden bamboo sends out horizontal sucker shoots and will come up thru pavement and is very invasive. Lovely plants though.
We have a City, and at least 2 towns in our county where bamboo is illegal to propagate. It's outlined in the City or Town Ordinance. Neighbors report one another, too, if they see it growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden