Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

And to Phillip, and all those people that post flower/plants photographs, in this forum, thank you so very much, they are really beautiful and we appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I think the yucca is one plant that would totally survive a nuclear war. I got rid of some growing around the foundation of my house and out in the yard. I think the root system goes halfway to China. I chopped it down, waited for sprouts to come up and chopped them too. (They're rough on lawn mower blades!) Then I got another idea. When I cut the spikes or whatever you call them, I had some good Round Up. Now the kind you get at Walmart, but the good stuff a friendly farmer might let you have. Don't mix it with water. As soon as you cut the plant, pour straight Round Up on the cuts. it will take it down through the roots. It will still take a while, but not as long as otherwise.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,498 times
I love yuccas so much . I have had many of them and I threw off because of my small house , I had a beautiful garden as well but I stoped taking care of it . I wish I can have yuccas and a garden again.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Yes! I didn't realize they grew so large. We have some over here in the northeast. I have seen them grow outdoors and survive the winters, but they don't grow very big. They DO flower though. I love them because they remind me of warm tropical climates. I got a few for my patio, but they froze over the winter and died. One of them grew shoots and did come back this spring, though. I guess you need to keep them close to the foundation in winter, or inside if they're in pots like mine are. Thanks for the lovely pictures. Can you guys grow agave out there, too?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Some more Yucca plants I spotted in Chicagoland over the weekend. I picked up a Y. filamentosa as well (first pic).
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/envenomate/Yfilamentosa.jpg (broken link)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/envenomate/WestChicagoYucca.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
I grow two Yucca's

the Yucca filamentosa and the hairy yucca here in CT

Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,927 times
yuccas are great accent plants and i really like using them in appropriate landscape situations..all of them, except one..and heres why:

...as anyone who lives south of zone 8b-9a could tell you, ...giant yucca, or Yucca guatemalensis is used extensively in home landscapes.. infact,here in California,it is planted almost everywhere...and i do mean EVERYWHERE..

..the main trouble with it is that it is rarely cared for enough to look good...
the trunk which forms on it gets HUGE...sometimes up to 4' across at the base!!!...trust me, its a very impressive sight. as to taking one out..better be prepared for a ton of work..and even then..this thing will find a way to re grow..

..trunks also tend to hold old foliage for quite awhile and can look quite ugly unless cleaned..

...another potential problem was noted this past winter when we had a moderately strong wind storm...the tops of several dozen of this specimen were completely lopped off..leaving behind very ugly looking sticks... many were later whacked nearly to the ground..or huge base of the tree..

.....this species also requires thinning on a yearly basis. this past spring, an un-thinned specimen on my property started dropping branch ends..when i examined them,as well as the tree itself, i noted all sorts of insect activity..some sort of beetle which had infested it..later, i noted this on other specimens in other neighborhoods...

....perhaps a better alternative for similar areas might be Draceana draco
or the 'dragon tree'..which looks like a cross between a yucca,a burly oak( the trunk and large branch pattern) and a huge agave or tree aloe..it also gets impressive large but looks better...id like to see it used or experimented with more in favored spots here in the bay area..

Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,973 times
These are fabulous photos of Yuccas.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,199 times
I loooooove Yucca!! either boiled or fried yum!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Yeah, the yuccas in the original thread are awesome! The ones here are not like that.. we have the ones like in the lower post, but some of these around here grow long stalks like little trees. We have alot of these (which can be seen in the background part of this photo of my Live Oak). I also have a Spanish Dagger and a Spanish Bayonet. One of them thrives (I think its the dagger), but the other dies out every winter and comes back in the summer... strange.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden