Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,455 times

Advertisements

I'm living here in middle Tennessee and our house has so many flies outside that when we open & close our back door to the deck for us & the dogs, they are coming inside. We are constantly walking around with fly swatters.

Our other problem is I think wasps. They are big and all over. We have a brick home with siding in the back. They are going around all the window frames and possibly gutters. We have gone through 5 cans of bee/wasp spray but they come back the next day again.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Sounds like you have a dead animal somewhere & a wasp nest?

Maybe try hosing the siding off with that windex house cleaner. See if that drives them away & knocks out nests.

If you put a fan blowing out your door it will prevent a lot of bugs of all types from coming in. You know that woosh you feel walking throug sliding doors into a store?
Its a unit that blows down and out to prevent bugs from flying in.
A big box fan blowing out the door will do the same for you. Set it on a table as bugs usually fly in at waist level or higher.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,251 times
Default 46Barb

....don't you just love tha little buggers..lol
one solution to dealing with the flies might be to place fly strips in areas where they seem to congergate the most...you can never really "get rid" of them but fly strips will help..also,..remember that flies love moist areas with decaying organic material or garbage..if your garbage cans are near the house,the flies will hang around...also,..if you keep a mulch pile..keep it away from the house..flies will breed in decaying grass clippings also..
as for the wasps,...it is possible,since it sounds as though there is a large number of them around,...there may be a nest near by...if they are yellow jackets,.the nest could be out in the yard somewhere..as yellow jackets generally nest in the ground....if they are paper wasps,which resemble yellow jackets,..or if they are hornets,..the nests will be either under the roof eves or possibly between the buidling and the siding on your house...when i lived in ohio,i experienced a similar problem..after observing the wasps for awhile, i noticed that they were building nests behind the siding on my apmt. building..occasionally id see a wasp or two trying to build other nests in protected corners on my patio..
from everything i was told,..when you go to spray the nests,..do so at night when the majority of them will be asleep on the nests..if you cant access the nests,..talk to a local exterminator..they should be able to help..

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,455 times
Thanks for the hints. I'm thinking the nests are behind the siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden