Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,273,639 times

Advertisements

I have elongated twig ants in my Mexican petunias and lugustrum tree in back and in front. Will any ant killer kill them? I was trimming bushes this last weekend and the dog and I got ambushed by these ninja ants. We are both unhappy today and would like o find a fix. I haven't see a ant killer that kills "elongated twig ants" but maybe ant killers kill any ant?
I'm not one to mess w/ bugs that eat dead foliage,decaying leaves etc BUT these where like wasp stings and most unpleasant.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Maybe contacting a local pesticide company, or your Agriculture extension service, for local advice on ridding or controlling the situation. They know your area best.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
...if you are a little nervous about applying pesticides..try spreading a ring of diatomacious earth around the base of the tree if possible...its essentially microscopic particles derived from natural sources..which is like broken glass to any insects which walk over it..it also causes the insects to dehydrate and die..not the most pleasent way to go but its far less toxic than applying an insecticide..

Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

yard is treated monthly professionally and these are my only complaint.
I called my lawn guy today as well

Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Getting to them is most likely the problem. They do hurt how well I know. I have been the bomb target to many times when they just fall out of a tree on me and sting. Here is some info that tells you what you are up against. Control does not look easy because of there habitat.

New Page 1

Old 07-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Getting to them is most likely the problem. They do hurt how well I know. I have been the bomb target to many times when they just fall out of a tree on me and sting. Here is some info that tells you what you are up against. Control does not look easy because of there habitat.

New Page 1
thank you everyone! Wonder if they are nesting in my lugustrum?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,926 times
i have a pest control business, and have just run into the ant in sarasota,fl. so far i have tried general spraying of the yard, with limited success. i am going to try baiting, starting with sweet liquid baits. the trick will be to bait heavily and persistently with this type of ant, monitoring bait acceptance. another approach would be dusts; seven dust spread evenly over the foraging range may do it. try putting out large amounts of terro, or sugar water with about 5% boric acid in come form of containers. the trick is to keep the bait from drying out. watch for robust feeding, and continue baiting as long as this occurs. i am going to start this week, i'll let you know how it works if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden