Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 742,465 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a huge groundhog living underneath my small shed in my back yard. I have seen it in the yard searching for food ,I guess. How in the world do I get rid of this thing? I have never had this problem before . I live on a one acre lot with deers, turkeys always in my yard. Thanks for any helpful information you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times
How to Get Rid of Groundhogs

Check this site out, offers some good home remedies

Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Well, the next time it shows its face, you could call a press conference and claim it's predicting something! LOL

Is it doing any damage to your property? If not, maybe you could just let it be.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I've got one under an old house near my garden. Solution? Harborfreight medium size trap - on sale currently for about $20. And about that website - they are called whistlepigs because they make a warning sound like a whistle. Either that or the one on my property is a band major. Last year I let one stay. This year we have a big garden. Sorry Charlie, I didn't get to the top of the food chain by giving out my food as free lunch.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Didn't you ever watch Caddy Shack with Bill Murray??

Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,187,522 times
I had a pair of them move in under my woodpile last year. All we did was annoy them, throw stones and pieces of cord wood, make noise when we were near there. They left for the back woods in a couple weeks. I guess I'm not a good neighbor.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Most dogs will kill them, they are slow moving and easy to catch.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,404,836 times
Yes, use a Have -A-Heart trap...apples always work for me...After you trap it, it's up to you what to do with it...in NY State the rules on Woodchucks are "Dispatch humanely"

Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, the next time it shows its face, you could call a press conference and claim it's predicting something! LOL

Is it doing any damage to your property? If not, maybe you could just let it be.
That would be my bias, as well. I live in an "urban wildlife refuge." We have 3 acres inside of Dallas with 50 + year growth trees, and we harbor raccoons, possums, rabbits, foxes, lizards, some stray cats we feed (and trap and get rabies shots and "fixed"). We like the cats because they eat the rats that would also like to make this place home.

Back when I used to farm a site with a grass runway down the middle, we would sometimes shoot groundhogs, because during Spring plowing and planting we would wind up wrecking their homes in the fields, and they would dig big burrows in the middle of the runway that would flip an airplane.

But everyone felt bad about doing that, and considered the entire problem our own fault that the groundhog died for -- just no one chose a better path.

Now I wind up shooting wild pit bulls that get abandoned and breed around here in Dallas. Always something.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 37,460 times
We have a small yard in the suburbs and I became so upset when I saw this giant groundhog living in a hole beside my shed. I love animals and I was concerned about how to relocate him...everyone around central PA finds pleasure in shooting them! I made a quick call to my son up at Bucknell University and he told me to just leave him alone...give co-existence a try! Great advice! She has been living here for 5 years and I have an unfenced vegetable garden and beautiful flowers and shrubs and she has never taken a bite out of anything except the weeds in my lawn! I look forward to seeing her every morning. This year she had 5 babies and they were a lot of fun to watch, I was worried about them but they have moved away. I just hope that they found a neighbor with a kind heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden