Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times

Advertisements

One on Monday, two on Friday. I will keep the feeder up a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:18 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times
Still have what appears to be one that has been here off and on all day

Old 10-07-2017, 10:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,499,863 times
I found out last winter, there are a few (couple of species, we are told) that stay here year-round. A friend sent me a picture of one at her feeder when it was snowing!! And another friend contacted the wildlife folks, who suggested keeping feeder up through the winter, because the few that stay have limited food options.

So last winter, I brought the one feeder in on the freezing nights, and put it out in the morning. We didn't see them frequently, but one or two at times, all winter. Don't know how they do it - we are in high desert (Bishop CA) but I was glad to help the cute little things through the winter.

During the season, I have 3 feeders, and I can see 4 or 5 at a time, then we counted up to 8 at a time when I think they were migrating through. Then down to just a couple.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 PM

20,860 posts, read 9,515,083 times
When I lived in the Seattle area there were always a few Anna's hummingbirds that stuck around during the winter.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Back to the main topic, I took down my hummingbird feeder a few days ago. Hadn't seen one in a while.
There are still quite a few coming down from the north. I live on the eastern part Long Island, and they just finished passing through last week, while a friend of mine is still seeing them in Queens NY. Not gonna tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd leave them up for another two weeks at minimum.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 AM

457 posts, read 496,151 times
I haven't seen one since last weekend but I'm gonna keep my two feeders up for another week or so, just in case. I miss seeing them fly around and fight.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
There are still quite a few coming down from the north. I live on the eastern part Long Island, and they just finished passing through last week, while a friend of mine is still seeing them in Queens NY. Not gonna tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd leave them up for another two weeks at minimum.
Well, I had run out of my supply of hummingbird food and it seemed a bit pointless to buy a whole new thing just for another week or two of hummingbirds being here before they migrated south, so I figured it was good enough.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I had run out of my supply of hummingbird food and it seemed a bit pointless to buy a whole new thing just for another week or two of hummingbirds being here before they migrated south, so I figured it was good enough.
That's cool, but in the future it's cheaper to make your own without that red dye they like to put in. Simply mix one part sugar to four parts of hot water. Chill and you're all set.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM

I actually use the stuff that's mostly just sugar anyway. No dyes in it. However, I don't keep my own sugar in my house so the only "sugar" I would ever buy is the stuff for the hummingbirds. Didn't seem worthwhile to buy a new packet of it for just 1 or 2 weeks' worth or use. Plus, as I said, I hadn't seen any around me for a week or two so I figured they were gone anyway.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I actually use the stuff that's mostly just sugar anyway. No dyes in it. However, I don't keep my own sugar in my house so the only "sugar" I would ever buy is the stuff for the hummingbirds. Didn't seem worthwhile to buy a new packet of it for just 1 or 2 weeks' worth or use. Plus, as I said, I hadn't seen any around me for a week or two so I figured they were gone anyway.
No reason to explain. I throw stuff out there because this is a public board, and someone could use that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden