Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,656,839 times

Advertisements

Great pics everyone! You should post them over in the Photography forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,669 times
I am in the Huntsville , AL area and have many hummingbirds. However for the poster who wondered where hers had gone, it is normal for the birds to "disappear" for a few weeks in the summer. I researched it and apparantly they feed their babies protein such as insects almost exclusively so you do not see them at the feeders. Then one day theya re back at the garden flowers and feeders again.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I am in the Huntsville , AL area and have many hummingbirds. However for the poster who wondered where hers had gone, it is normal for the birds to "disappear" for a few weeks in the summer. I researched it and apparantly they feed their babies protein such as insects almost exclusively so you do not see them at the feeders. Then one day theya re back at the garden flowers and feeders again.
That's really interesting information! It explains the absences. They are back now, in greater numbers than ever. Thanks for sharing that. Reps to you.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,703,996 times
Mine haven't come back - never had them much at all this year, but perhaps later in the summer...I know I had them great in number last September. Were constantly circling my house and traveling across to my neighbor on the other side of the dead end - he has a feeder out that I can see from my back yard. Just not having that experience this year.

Changes...the property is better cleared now, but still wooded. Actually more flowers this year, many of which are supposed to be fragrant favorites. But everything takes so loooong to grow here, I feel like I'm in slow-mo. Still not used to the not-in-SoFl gardening speed - spoiled by the seed today, tree next week thing.
All I can imagine is that (possibly because) the Passiflora is not blooming this year since coming from the ground, where-as last year it was planted while fully loaded. They went NUTS over that vine...flowers should begin developing soon, and I have planted runners around other trees as well. Fingers crossed. C'mon Maypop!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

33458, Where do you live in the area? It sounds like you are on the right track with flowers, etc. I am in the middle of a pasture, field. Moved here last fall and just put the feeder out this early April not really expecting anything since we are the only house. The hummers were already there buzzing immediately and as my flowers came in it is now a fight to have control of my small yard. I have planted many flowers that produce nectar and I didn't put in little ones or seeds. It became lush pretty fast. Maybe that is the difference? The birds will eat alot in the next few weeks in preparation for migration which generally starts around here the first week of Septemeber. I keep my feeders up into October and am thinking of leaving it up all winter, I always hear of a sighting in the winter months and so it may be good.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Mawoods - I'm in NE Huntsville at the foot of Monte Sano...

I'll be planting more as I can aquire it, and moving some hosta from the dry back woods to the front planting bed (better soil, much incorporated humus) and starting some Mondara back here around the deck...does well in the front, so will try it where-ever I can get it to grow.

Won't do much for me now, but next year it might.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM

33458 you are in a beautiful area as I recall. Lots of big trees? I bet you have a big yard and it will be beautiful. I am up the road past Hampton Cove toward Gurley. We love those mountains and I never get tired of seeing them everyday. Funny, you must have moved from S FL and our daughter and son in law just moved down there. Very tropical. They want my advice and I am not an expert on tropical gardening. I am going to have to learn because they want us to put in some gardening this fall down there. May ask your advice!!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
33458 you are in a beautiful area as I recall. Lots of big trees? I bet you have a big yard and it will be beautiful. I am up the road past Hampton Cove toward Gurley. We love those mountains and I never get tired of seeing them everyday. Funny, you must have moved from S FL and our daughter and son in law just moved down there. Very tropical. They want my advice and I am not an expert on tropical gardening. I am going to have to learn because they want us to put in some gardening this fall down there. May ask your advice!!
Feel free, was big on gardening down there as well...the only thing they might want to try that won't do well are roses...even if you replace the soil, dirt will leach down and out and soon you'll be left with grit again. Roses will grow, but most are unimpressive. I have seen someone literally place a container underground with drainage holes/mesh and put soil/humus in that - and that works if it drains well enough...
hurricanes are a test of our ability to plant appropriately. (My oasis was leveled three times.)

Gardenias are also...probably not worth the aggravation.
The upside is almost everything else will grow year-round and bloom often.

Jasmines...Glory Bower (Bleeding Heart that isn't), Oleander, Pentas, Passiflora (becomes invasive...careful), Wild Florida Coffee (hummer and butterfly) any kind of fern...succulant paradise. Oh, and I had Piper Nigrum all over the place - no fuss. Does not like wet feet. That's it. They can harvest black peppercorn. Brought some with me, too, sooo if they can't find it for sale, I'll start you a plant. I have plenty.
Four O'Clocks are perennial in zone 10-11, will develop HUGE bulbs...and bloom at 4 pm. (Not like here...)

I tried hanging a feeder for hummers because the migration maps did show them coming through Palm Beach County, but never once did I see any.

(The trade-off was a few Painted Buntings around April - they loved to hang out in the Night Blooming Jasmine.)

Word of advice - drip irrigation system and lots of mulch surrounding. Life-saver, literally, during the years of drought.

Have them figure out if they want low-maintenance xeriscape, native or naturalizing tropicals or if they want wildlife. If they're in to the critters, tell them to check out the butterfly garden down in Coconut Creek...there might be one in Orlando, too...but Miami is closer. That garden had tags to tell you what everything was and they also sold some of what they culled, will be zone aware.

http://www.butterflyworld.com/

As I type, my hummer is back. She was perched in a tree earlier today as I took down the feeder to clean it.
Just came to drink...eyes are shot, need new glasses...but I think I saw a female.

Yes, back again - looks gray or dark taupe with a white collar.

I love these little things!

I'm close enough to the mountain...err, hill (really) that I can't see it from my house - trees in the way as the grade increases...I'm actually right before Chapman Mountain (cough) or Knoll - something that comes before Monte Sano proper. A happy bump in the road.
The McMansions are further up there.
And there's a big hill to the north side where 72 elevates, see that from my front porch. I dig it here.

Last edited by 33458; 08-05-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks 33458!! I think they want low maintanance and low water. They are DINKS and want it nice but not lots of work. I grew up in Brazil so I enjoy all the tropical stuff. They are in Wellington area. I think the only wildlife they wil have are snakes, lizards and alligators in the lakes. I watched for birds and didn't see as many varieties as we have here. They did have lots of water birds of course. We have alot here too. You should get to Wheeler this January and see the sand hill cranes that spend the winter. There were at least 1000 last winter. We loved them up in Wisconsin and were thrilled to see them here. Thanks for the gardening info - will ask for more when we start the work in fall.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks 33458!! I think they want low maintanance and low water. They are DINKS and want it nice but not lots of work. I grew up in Brazil so I enjoy all the tropical stuff. They are in Wellington area. I think the only wildlife they wil have are snakes, lizards and alligators in the lakes. I watched for birds and didn't see as many varieties as we have here. They did have lots of water birds of course. We have alot here too. You should get to Wheeler this January and see the sand hill cranes that spend the winter. There were at least 1000 last winter. We loved them up in Wisconsin and were thrilled to see them here. Thanks for the gardening info - will ask for more when we start the work in fall.
I grew up in Wellyworld. My folks are still there. But when I moved there ('79) it was a two lane road with one deli, one grocery store and one gas station. In the Boonies. Polo was it, and who cared...

They'll have cranes and egrets walking around in their yard...lots of tree frogs. Probably no hummers. Most Anoles and the Southern Black Racers are harmless, but there's a dragon-sized variety (Knight Anole, I think) to keep an eye out for (will come if you wiggle a finger...warning! Have seen one chase a bird.) and coral or rattle snakes. Scorpians. The latter three I have never witnessed, but know of encounters.

Just let me know what I can do for ya. Happy to oblige.

Welly is tight with restrictions come drought - officers drive around in the middle of the night looking for watering offenses...so xeri and naturalized will be a good plan. They can still have flowers.

Oh - if they have a pool, Orchids are a cinch. My mother has her patio screened in and the humidity is perfect...the whole stretch of the house in back is lined with old, very large plants and every year she has something like 400 flowers. Has a giant Staghorn, too. Must weigh 100 pounds. Had to bolt it with a heavy chain in to the arbor.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW059

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=41907

Last edited by 33458; 08-05-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden