Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I'm going to miss them when they're gone for the winter.
I, too, will really miss them when they are gone. This has been the first time in my 40 some years that I've ever put out a hummingbird feeder, and what a delight it has been!

I will definitely be more eager than ever for Spring next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Ahhh....sigh....I had two of my last hummers the last few days and I think they have flown the coup too. I haven't seen any today so far but I could have missed them. I know the time is near for them to go on their journey when I have to actually look for them. I am going to miss the little guys!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Maybe it's time for me to look into a feeder here in FL. Maybe some will over winter here? I would love to photograph some of these dive bombers. I saw hundreds in CO 5 years ago but had now way to capture them then.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Given time and patience they will actually "pose" for you once they get use to you and your camera! They are quite the hams!
I was wrong--my two little hummers are still here--I just saw them!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Given time and patience they will actually "pose" for you once they get use to you and your camera! They are quite the hams!
I was wrong--my two little hummers are still here--I just saw them!
Glad your hummers are still there, Cyn. As for posing... I'll have to spend a LOT more time on my porch, I guess. They already are quite bold and don't mind coming to my hanging baskets or the feeder while I am on the porch!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Glad your hummers are still there, Cyn. As for posing... I'll have to spend a LOT more time on my porch, I guess. They already are quite bold and don't mind coming to my hanging baskets or the feeder while I am on the porch!
Me too. Mine are very sneaky... they seem to be camera shy.

But, this is the first year I've had my feeder. There's always next year!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:48 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
New Mexico is known for it's hummingbird population.

We have unseasonably cooler weather here, too, because of the tropical storms.
They are really emptying the feeders lately -- so they're probably getting ready to leave me, too.
[b]Arizona is also another one of those Hummingbird magnets. Ramsey Canyon has been one of my favourites.

Pathways To Nature Conservation Fund - Ramsey Canyon Preserve

Last edited by Rance; 09-10-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: I'm going to allow the one link that pertains to hummers

Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Lately, however, I have a territorial little hummer that chases all the others off! Others come to the feeder, though, because there is no way one little hummer is emptying the feeder as quickly as it is emptying out these days!
Could it be a rufous? Here in Colorado we have these little copper colored hummers called rufous and they guard "their" feeders. Usually they are here for 2-3 weeks in July but this year they stayed longer. We had a banner year. At the busiest I counted over 3 dozen hummingbirds. We are down to one feeder and only a couple of hardy souls left. I miss them so when they are gone!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Could it be a rufous? Here in Colorado we have these little copper colored hummers called rufous and they guard "their" feeders. Usually they are here for 2-3 weeks in July but this year they stayed longer. We had a banner year. At the busiest I counted over 3 dozen hummingbirds. We are down to one feeder and only a couple of hardy souls left. I miss them so when they are gone!
I don't think so, but I don't yet know the different species of hummers. Take a look at this hummingbird from the photography forum -- this looks a lot like the one/ones I see at my feeders.

Please, anyone, feel free to tell me what species this little hummer is!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
What a great photo! Difficult to tell the color from the belly side. Here is a link that will show you what the Rufous looks like: Rufous Hummingbird
They are territorial little stinkers. I tried taking photos of them this summer but I wasn't quick enough. They are absolutely gorgeous in the sunlight.
BTW, it is 42 degrees and foggy this morning and I still I saw two hummers at our feeder. We mostly get the Broadtailed here in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden