Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 07:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times

Advertisements

I planted about 10 red salvia flowers in window boxes. The hummingbirds love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Our hummer activity has really slowed down this past week. I've only seen 6-8 at the feeder at dusk (took down the 2nd feeder on one deck). I'm refilling it every few days instead of every day. Quite a switch from the "rush" of 10 days ago. They'll be back in 6 weeks or so. The busiest time here is usually mid to late July. Sure have seen a lot of courting activity during the day time though!

Old 06-05-2016, 10:00 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Someone just pointed out to me that you shouldn't hang them in direct sun because the heat spoils the sugar formula too quickly and can kill the birds . I moved mine to a place on my deck that only gets sun late in the afternoon.

Alice is right. If you hang it, they'll find it! Yesterday I had two hummers that kept running each other off!
In AZ they bake in the hot (100+) sun and do great.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Finally saw one male hummer at dawn this morning. I hope I see more of them soon!

Old 06-07-2016, 02:04 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
In AZ they bake in the hot (100+) sun and do great.
The feeders or the birds?
World Citizen is correct.
When it's that hot the nectar will spoil. Feeders should be cleaned and refilled daily.
I've read from several sources about a fungus infection that can occur when the nectar spoils which can kill the birds.

Feeder location and care: Hang the feeder in a shady area. Sun will cause rapid spoilage of the sugar solution. Select a spot that is safe from cats and other predators. If you put a feeder close to a reflective window, hummingbirds might fly into the glass. The feeder must be emptied and thoroughly washed in hot water (but not hot enough to damage plastic parts) according to the following schedule: in cool weather (below 60 degrees F), clean and refill with fresh sugar water after three days,. In warmer weather, the feeder must be cleaned after two days. In hot weather (above 80 degrees F), daily cleaning might be necessary, Use a bottle brush to scrub all surfaces. Rinse completely, making sure that every speck of foreign material is washed away. If the feeder contains removable plastic feeding flowers, these must be taken out and scrubbed as well. Hummingbirds put their tongues into a feeder to drink; sugar water is conducive to the growth of pathogens. If there is mold, slimy accumulation or cloudy water in a feeder, hummingbirds can die from using the feeder. Follow this rule: both the sugar solution and the feeder must be so fresh and clean that you would drink the contents yourself.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Finally saw one male hummer at dawn this morning. I hope I see more of them soon!
Not sure if I have one or two males coming to my backyard. Kinda think it is two because of the direction they enter the yard. With that said, I have not seen one female as yet. Usually I'll have three or four at the feeders at once. This year, nothing.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Not sure if I have one or two males coming to my backyard. Kinda think it is two because of the direction they enter the yard. With that said, I have not seen one female as yet. Usually I'll have three or four at the feeders at once. This year, nothing.
I hope they haven't had a decline in their population! I haven't seen another one since I saw that little guy yesterday.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 PM

311 posts, read 467,210 times
Finally had some hummingbirds come to my feeders, here in TN. I usually see them sooner then this. They aren't staying at my feeders for very long. Not sure what that's all about. But, I was glad to see them.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I hope they haven't had a decline in their population! I haven't seen another one since I saw that little guy yesterday.
I wish I could say what is going on, but I did look at last years pics of my gardens and found they were a lot farther along than they are this year. That and my neighbor behind me, who is an avid gardener is not working her yard due to a house fire she had last year. They are just now starting to rebuild, so no gardening for her this year. Maybe they are nesting early, and that's why we are seeing so little? I guess it's time for me to start asking some questions on a few hummer sites.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 AM

They do travel/reside all the way up into Alaska, and Canada. Put a couple of feeders up and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden